If you or a loved one has suffered from a brain injury in Wilkes-Barre, you know the devastating impact it can have on a family. Not only is the financial burden often insurmountable, but the emotional toll can also be traumatizing. Munley Law brain injury attorneys are dedicated to representing victims and their families. Although we can’t undo the physical and emotional harm caused by a serious brain injury, we can help ease the financial burden by fighting to get you the compensation you deserve.
What is a brain injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) occurs from some type external force, such as a bump, blow or jolt to the head. We see TBIs when a brain suffers from the jarring impact of a car crash, being hit by something such as a falling object, or being forcefully shaken. The brain may be left bruised, bleeding and damaged. These injuries can dramatically affect many of the victim’s physical and mental abilities. A non-traumatic brain injury is typically caused by heath complications or medical errors rather than an impact. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), TBI is a major cause of death and disability in the U.S. The CDC estimates about 1.7 million TBIs occur annually and more than 50,000 of these injuries are ultimately fatal.
Top causes of Wilkes-Barre brain injuries
- Wilkes-Barre Car, Truck & Motorcycle Accidents – Motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of traumatic brain injuries. The driver of another vehicle that hit you may have been distracted, speeding or driving in another negligent manner. Perhaps your vehicle, an auto part, or the roadway on which you were driving was defective in some way. The collision may have caused the victim’s head to smash into the dashboard or windshield or to be shaken in a traumatic manner.
- Wilkes-Barre Medical Malpractice Injuries – You or a loved one may have suffered a brain injury as the result of some type of medical malpractice. You may have a child who suffered a tragic brain injury due to a preventable birth injury or you received a dangerous dose of anesthesia. If a doctor, hospital or healthcare provider acted negligently, causing your brain injury, or failed to diagnose an aneurysm, you may have grounds for a Wilkes-Barre brain injury case.
- Work Accidents in Wilkes-Barre – Slip and falls, trip and falls and falling objects can all lead to injuries resulting in various brain injuries from concussions to TBIs. A penetrating brain injury may occur when an object, such as a metal shard or falling debris pierces the skull. Exposure to toxic chemicals in the workplace, such as carbon monoxide, pesticides and other chemicals may also result in a brain injury. If you’ve suffered a brain injury in a work-related accident or construction accident contact the Munley Law team today.
- Wilkes-Barre Slip and Fall Accidents – Did you suffer a slip and fall accident due to negligent or unsafe conditions on some else’s property? Did an unattended loved one fall in a nursing home? Did your child fall at a public pool? Did the fall result in a traumatic brain injury? If so, you may be able to hold the negligent property owner accountable. According to the Mayo Clinic, falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries, particularly in older adults and children.
- Sports Accidents in Wilkes-Barre – Sports accidents are a leading cause of traumatic brain injuries and other head injuries. The impact of a football tackle or a boxing punch, getting hit in the head with a baseball or soccer ball, or being thrown to the ice in a hockey rink can all result in a brain injury.
- Anoxic & Hypoxic Brain Injury – This type of brain injury results from a lack of oxygen to the brain. The lack of oxygen typically results in the death of brain cells. You sometimes see this brain injury as a result of a birth injury or resulting from complications of anesthesia during surgery. It may also result from stroke, drowning, and carbon monoxide poisoning among other causes.
- Ischemic Brain Injury –These brain injuries are caused by an inadequate supply of blood to the brain. They may result from a birth injury or childbirth complication, as well as stroke or a blood clot.
Do I need a brain injury accident attorney?
The Munley Law personal injury firm offers a free consultation to discuss your injuries and determine if you have a case. The legal decisions you make now can affect your future well being. If you’ve suffered a traumatic brain injury due to the negligence of another, you will want the best representation to help get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Brain injury cases can be complex. Just understanding the future implications of your TBI is essential to getting you the compensation you deserve. This means hiring an experienced Wilkes-Barre injury attorney. Your brain injury attorney will help guide you through the process, develop a legal strategy, and prepare to negotiate a settlement or to take your case to trial. The Munley team is skilled in both negotiating and litigating on behalf of our injured clients. We’ve won millions in settlements and jury verdicts for those we have represented in injury claims in Wilkes-Barre and throughout the state.
What compensation am I entitled to for a brain injury?
You have the right to seek compensation for your traumatic brain injury. Depending on the facts of case, you may be eligible to seek compensation for:
- All medical bills related to the injury
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering, such as any lasting emotional pain
- Loss of quality of life if you are no longer able to participate in normal day to day activities
- Expenses for ongoing care and support, including occupational therapy and rehab
- Wrongful death. When a brain injury is fatal, a victim’s family may be able to pursue a wrongful death suit.
Symptoms of a brain injury
- Nausea & vomiting
- Confusion or feeling disoriented
- Difficulty communicating
- Change in personality
- Memory loss
- Loss of consciousness
- Vision problems
- Speech problems
- Emotional or behavioral problems
A head injury that may seem minor at first can sometimes have a life-changing impact when an accident results in a brain injury. A traumatic brain injury almost always results in some type of permanent brain damage. This can lead to various emotional and physical disabilities that can last a lifetime.
Munley Law Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America
You are entitled to justice! When you are seeking compensation for a brain injury resulting from the negligence of another, you need a lawyer who is knowledgeable and experienced in traumatic brain injury cases. Munley Law is a premier Pennsylvania personal injury firm. Our injury attorneys have represented Wilkes-Barre accident victims in claims against negligent motorists, trucking companies, doctors and hospitals, negligent manufacturers as well as negligent property owners.
Protecting the rights of Wilkes-Barre brain injury victims
Although TBI can often be avoided, it remains one of the most disabling injuries in the U.S. A brain injury can impact nearly every aspect of your life, from your ability to walk, talk and remember to your ability to interact with your loved ones. We are here to advocate for you and your family and to fight for your legal rights. If you or a loved one is suffering because of someone else’s negligence, we may be able to help you recover compensation for your injuries. Munley Law brain injury lawyers, along with our team of accident and medical experts, will study your case and look for the cause of your injury. If it is determined that a brain injury was caused by the negligence of another, we will consult with you as to the best manner to move forward with your case.
With our contingent fee policy, we only get paid if we win your brain injury case. Contact Munley Law today for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your traumatic brain injury case.