2011 Pennsylvania Crash Statistics Reveal Pennsylvania Highways are Getting Safer
The 2011 Pennsylvania Crash Facts and Statistics booklet, published by the Bureau of Maintenance and Operations, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, is now available. The report is a statistical review of motor vehicle crashes in Pennsylvania for the calendar year 2011.
According to PENNDOT, Pennsylvania roadways are getting safer. In fact, the 2011 fatality rate of 1.27 deaths per hundred million vehicle-miles of travel was the second lowest ever recorded in Pennsylvania since the department started keeping records of this in 1935. In addition, the 1,286 accident fatalities in 2011 were the second lowest recorded over the last 68 years.
Following are some of the key findings from the report:
- The total number of reported crashes in 2011 increased 3.4% compared to 2010, but the number of deaths decreased by 2.9%.
- In 2011, there were 125,395 reportable traffic crashes in Pennsylvania. In those crashes, 1,286 people lost their lives in PA vehicle accidents, and 87,839 were injured.
- 428 of the fatalities were in alcohol-related crashes.
- Each day 344 reportable traffic crashes occurred, or about 14 crashes every hour.
- Each day 4 persons were killed in reportable traffic crashes, or one person dies every 7 hours.
- Each day 241 persons were injured in reportable crashes, which translates to approximately 10 injuries every hour.
- One out of every 43 people in Pennsylvania was involved in a reportable traffic crash.
Our Pennsylvania car accident attorneys are glad to see that our highways are getting safer. Pennsylvania residents are being more responsible when behind the wheel, and it shows. However, there is always room for improvement, and we continue to encourage all drivers to stay focused when driving and to keep our roads safe.
If you have been involved in an automobile accident that was caused by the negligence or carelessness of another driver you may be eligible to seek compensation. Contact a personal injury lawyer to understand your legal rights.
Contact Our PA Car Accident Lawyers Today
The Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys personal injury law firm has years of experience in dealing with insurance companies and handling accident claims. We are familiar with all of the techniques that the insurance companies may use to influence you to settle quickly and for less compensation. Insurance companies have a team of investigators, adjustors, agents and legal help to protect them. As the accident victim, you need your own team of legal experts to protect you.
At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our goal is to provide exceptional legal services to our clients. We strive to achieve the highest standard of excellence for the protection of individual rights through teamwork and the use of our considerable resources and experience.
Share this post: