Even with proper safety equipment, a bicyclist is no match for a motor vehicle. If you have been hit by a car, bus or truck while riding a bike, a bicycle accident lawyer can help you on the road to recovery.
The bicycle accident lawyers at Munley Law have spent decades representing victims of serious bicycle crashes. Our board-certified civil trial advocates have been named among the Best Lawyers in America, and have earned the top peer and client ratings from Martindale-Hubbell. Ultimately, our results speak for themselves. At Munley Law, we fight for vulnerable victims and their families. In order to give everyone equal access to the justice they deserve, we never charge a fee unless we win your case. Our initial consultation is free, so fill out our email form or call (215) 515-7688 today.
A Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will Hold Careless Drivers Responsible
Whether you ride a bicycle for leisure, exercise, or as your primary mode of transportation, you’re aware of the dangers of sharing the road with large vehicles. A distracted, drowsy, speeding, aggressive, or otherwise careless driver can cause complete devastation in the blink of an eye.
According the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, bicycle accidents have been increasing in the last few years. In 2013, there were 743 bicyclists killed and approximately 48,000 injured in motor vehicle accidents. In fact, bicyclists made up almost 1 percent of the people killed in traffic crashes in Pennsylvania in 2013. Alcohol was reported in 34 percent of the fatal accidents in 2013. Other common situations that lead to a bicycle accident include:
- A left-turning vehicle at an intersection or through a gap in traffic
- A right-turning vehicle who is traveling ahead of a cyclist
- A car door opening without looking
- Being side-swiped by a passing vehicle
- Rear-ended by a vehicle
- Bad roadways or walkways
- Rider error such as not paying attention to surroundings
- A crash or collision into an object
- A dog chasing the cyclist
What To Do After a Bike Accident
The steps you take after a bike accident can be essential to your case. If you get into a bike accident, keep these tips in mind:
- Don’t leave the accident scene until you speak with the police, even if you don’t think you’re injured. In many cases, accident victims don’t begin to feel pain until hours or days after the crash.
- Don’t try to negotiate with the driver. Some drivers may accept the blame only to recant later to the insurance company. It’s best to wait for the police so they can document the incident.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses nearby.
- Take photos of the scene, your bike, the other vehicle (if possible) and any injuries you sustained.
Contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer at Munley Law Now
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident involving a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania, New York, or New Jersey, get the help that you need. Contact the Scranton personal injury lawyers at Munley Law today for a free consultation.