If you were hit by an Uber driver or injured as an Uber passenger, contact a Pennsylvania Uber accident lawyer at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been a driver or passenger in a rideshare accident, make sure you have an expert Uber accident lawyer on your side. The laws determining who is at fault in an Uber accident vary from state to state, and with so many parties involved the process can be incredibly complicated. To ensure you’re compensated for your injuries, it’s important you have an expert Uber accident lawyer on your side.
Uber has become an incredibly popular way to get from point A to point B. That also means the rideshare mobile app is also contributing to more accidents on the roads. A recent study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) determined that “Uber and Lyft are behind a sharp rise in US traffic deaths.” These accidents involve thousands of passengers and other drivers, resulting in injuries, pain and suffering, and other expenses.
Determining Fault in Uber Rideshare Car Accident Cases
Most Uber accidents around the United States can have added complications. These car accidents are treated differently than an accident with a normal vehicle or traditional commercial vehicle. Most Rideshare companies, including Uber, do have $1 million in liability insurance for their drivers. In most cases, this policy covers the driver as long as they are:
- Actively taking a rider on a trip when the accident occurs
- Logged onto the app while waiting for to accept a ride request
- En route to pick up a rider
For this reason, as a passenger, any injuries you sustain in a rideshare accident will likely be covered by Uber’s insurance policy. But often, the company still chooses to fight the claim and denies liability. This can occur even if the driver is determined to be at fault and on duty when the accident occurs.
For these reasons, it’s important to have an experienced Uber accident lawyer on your side. Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys has been fighting for car accident victims for more than 60 years. Our team of experienced Uber rideshare accident lawyers have obtained the maximum compensation for injured victims.
Why Do Uber Accidents Happen
While apps like Uber do background checks on their drivers, including driving history, these checks aren’t everything. However, plenty of people with a clean driving history are susceptible to the same accident risks on the road.
Similar to car accidents, there are many reasons Uber accidents happen. Some of the top reasons include::
- Driving while tired. From working multiple jobs, to working nights, many Uber drivers get behind the wheel tired. This impacts both alertness and reaction time. It can impair a driver as much as being under the influence of alcohol.
- Distracted driving. Uber drivers use smartphones for directions, tracking their time, and arranging pick-ups. Being this attached to a phone while on the road can cause distractions.
- Driving too fast. Whether its due to tardiness while transporting or picking up a passenger, Uber drivers can feel pressured to speed.
- Inclement weather. If a driver is already on unfamiliar roads, or constantly looking at an app for directions, inclement weather can be another variable you don’t need. From rain to snow and ice, poor weather conditions can be incredibly risky for Uber drivers to navigate.
- Drivers with little experience. As the rideshare economy grows, new drivers are turning to Uber for extra side income or even full-time employment. If they haven’t been driving for as long, the common distractions can be even more dangerous.
Rideshare Standards & Requirements in Uber Accidents
Even though they are susceptible to the same dangers on the road as any other driver behind the wheel, Uber drivers do have to meet certain standards to drive. These standards include:
- Must be at least 21 years old; for Uber, drivers must meet or exceed the minimum age for the city in which they work/are driving.
- Have a valid driver’s license for at least one year (or three years if younger than 23)
- Give proof of insurance, vehicle registration, and valid inspection
- Pass a driving background check and safety screening
These standards aren’t just for the drivers. Uber vehicles must also meet certain standards. In general, they must be: four-door vehicles less than 15 years old and in good condition.
FAQ for an Uber Accident Lawyer
How much is my Uber accident case worth?
If you’ve been in an accident as a Uber driver or passenger in an Uber, there is no way to tell what your case is worth without knowing the details. Every accident has different factors that can greatly impact or determine the value of what you are owed. The best way to understand what your case is worth is to contact an experienced Uber accident lawyer.
How long do I have to file my rideshare accident case?
That depends on the jurisdiction. Many factors go into determining jurisdiction – from where the accident occurred to the residences of parties involved. An Uber accident lawyer can help you determine where to file your case and how quickly you need to do so. Contact a lawyer today.
How much does an experienced Uber lawyer cost?
Our team of expert accident attorneys only takes a fee if we win you a settlement. You do not owe anything upfront.
Get an Uber accident lawyer at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys on your side
If you have been in an Uber accident, you need to immediately report the incident to Uber through their app. After you report the accident, the next step is hiring an experienced Uber accident lawyer. These rideshare companies will have large legal teams, and the driver may be covered by these companies as well. An experienced Uber rideshare lawyer will assist you in building your case to guarantee you get the compensation you deserve.