The Munley Law Scholarship
Applications for the Spring 2019 Munley Law Scholarship are now OPEN! Apply by November 12, 2018. See below for criteria and application instructions.
Congratulations to Ozzarah Watson of Stockbridge, GA, winner of the Fall 2018 Munley Law Scholarship! Thank you to all who applied.
For the Fall 2018 Munley Law Scholarship, applicants were asked to answer the question: What amendment to the Constitution is the most meaningful to you and why? Ozzarah composed a thoughtful and thoroughly researched video on the 24th amendment and the importance of voting rights. Congratulations, Ozzarah!
The Spring 2019 Munley Law Scholarship: Portrait of a Founding Father
Our founder and father, Robert W. Munley, has spent much of his life and career studying the signers of the Declaration of Independence. For our Spring 2019 scholarship, we are asking you to select one of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence and tell us why you find that person significant and interesting. Please feel free to be creative– but abide by the rules below. We strongly suggest that you read them in their entirety before you begin your essay, PowerPoint, or video. Good luck!
Scholarship award: $2,500.00
- You must be a legal resident of the United States
- You must be 18 years or older on or before the Scholarship’s disbursement (December 3, 2018)
- You must have proof of enrollment and good standing in a college, university, medical school, or law school by the time the scholarship is disbursed (December 3, 2018). Examples include: Enrollment verification letter from the registrar’s office, acceptance letter, course registration for upcoming semester, etc.
- Students who have an immediate member of their family (e.g., parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, sibling, or member of their household) who is employed by or is a director of Munley Law or any other companies associated with the administration, development, or fulfillment of this contest are not eligible to participate.
Entry Format – Please Read Carefully
You may submit your entry in one (1) of the following three (3) formats:
- Microsoft® Word Document Maximum length is 500 words with a maximum file size of 2 MB. Please check your essay’s word count by using Microsoft® Word’s Word Count feature. Any words in excess of 500 will be deleted from the essay and will not be considered. The word count does not include the title of your essay, your byline, or any citations you may choose to include. Essays should be typed and double-spaced.
- Microsoft® PowerPoint Presentation Maximum file size of 10 MB.
- Video Presentation Video not to exceed 5 minutes in length with a maximum file size of 20 MB. You may not include any individual other than yourself in the video.
The format that you select to submit your submission (Submission) will not influence the contest judges’ evaluation of your Submission.
Please Note: Your entry should not be a report or biography. While it is expected that you will include some biographical information about your chosen signer, we are looking for you to share why this person is significant and interesting to you. Please review the criteria on which your entry will be judged before beginning your essay, PowerPoint, or video.
Submissions will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Originality – 40%
- Grammar and style 15%
Submissions will be judged by a panel made up of Munley Law lawyers and qualified staff. Judges will determine the Submission that has received the highest combined total score and the entrant of that Submission will be deemed to be the winner. In the event of a tie, the Judges will determine the winning Submission based on the Submission that received the highest score for persuasiveness.
Information to Include With Your Entry – Please Read Carefully
All Submissions must contain the following information:
- Your full name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Proof of legal residency in the U.S. This may be a drivers’ license, state-issued photo ID or any government-issued ID, passport, utility bill, credit card statement, or bank statement. If submitting credit card statements or bank statements, please black-out any identification numbers, account numbers, and financial information.
- The name and address of the college, graduate school, medical school, or law school that you currently attend or plan to attend.
- If a graduating high school senior, the name and address of the high school you currently attend.
How to Submit – Please Read Carefully
To enter, please email your Submission and Entry Information to email@example.com. Submissions directed to any other address or email address will not be considered.
The Submission deadline is November 12, 2018. Submissions received after that date will not be considered.
Please do not call the Munley Law office with questions regarding the Munley Law Scholarship.
More About Your Submission – Please Read Carefully
Once you have sent in a Submission, you may not change or edit the Submission.
Submissions that do not include all required information and that do not strictly conform to all the requirements set forth on this page will be considered void and disqualified and will not be judged.
Munley Law is not responsible for an entrant’s failure to properly complete each step of the registration process nor do they have responsibility or liability for any Submission that is corrupted or otherwise non-functioning.
We are not liable for Submissions that were not received, for any reason, and we cannot be held responsible for lost, late, illegible, or incomplete applications.
Submission Requirements – Please Read Carefully
- A Submission must be totally your original creation, not infringe or in any way violate any third party’s intellectual property rights. The Submission: (A) must be in English; (B) must be in one (1) of the three (3) formats specified above; and (C) must relate to a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- A Submission may not contain any obscene, lewd, violent, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate language, behavior, or slogans.
- Munley Law reserves the right to disqualify any Submission that it or its representatives determine, in their sole discretion, do not comply with the rules as stated herein.
- The winner will be announced on our website, Facebook and Google+ pages on December 3, 2018.
- Checks will be made payable to the college, graduate school, medical school, or law school of the Scholarship recipient.
- As a condition of entering the contest and receiving any prize, the winner will be required to consent to the use of their name, age, area of residence, and school name.
- Winners will also be required to submit a photo for announcement on all media without limitation, throughout perpetuity, without additional compensation, notice to, or approval from winner or any other party.
- Entrant/winner agrees to transfer and assign all rights and title of Submission to Munley Law.
- After winning, for tax purposes only, you may be asked to provide your social security number and permanent address.
- The winner’s social security number and contact information will not be distributed, sold, or shared with third parties who are not affiliated with the Munley Law Scholarship.
Terms & Conditions
Winner agrees to use the Scholarship prize for education purposes only: tuition and or related expenses.Entrant represents and warrants that s/he has the legal capacity to enter this Contest, that the Submission is original and has been legally created by the entrant; does not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights or any other legal or moral rights of any third party; has not been entered in or won previous contests or awards; and has not been published or distributed previously in any media. Additionally, Submitter represents and warrants that s/he owns all rights and title to the Submission.
Each submitter understands and acknowledges that they will not be paid for or receive any form of compensation for his/her submission. Winner will receive only scholarship funds not to exceed $2,500.00
Each Submitter further agrees to indemnify and hold Munley Law harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of them due to or arising out of the Submission, or the Submitter’s conduct in creating a Submission or otherwise in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to claims for trademark infringement, copyright infringement; violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy; or defamation.