Defending Your Rights After an Uber Crash
The roads can be dangerous even in the best conditions. However, when you put your trust in an Uber driver, you may not expect to end up in a serious car accident. The truth is, Uber drivers can make the same driving mistakes as any other driver, and may sometimes be at greater risk of negligent driving.
If you’ve been involved in an accident with an Uber driver, you need an experienced Uber accident attorney on your side. At Munley Law, our attorneys have been helping injured victims for over 60 years. We know how to navigate complex insurance and liability matters with car accident cases involving Uber and other rideshare company drivers.
$32 Million Wrongful Death
$26 Million Truck Accident
$17.5 Million Car Accident
$12 Million Product Liability
$9 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$7.5 Million Auto Accident
$6.9 Million Garbage Truck Accident
$6.5 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
$5 Million Medical Malpractice
$5 Million Bus Accidents
What Causes Uber Accidents?
Uber accidents can be caused by the same risk factors as any other type of vehicle accident. However, due to the nature of the job itself, Uber drivers are subjected to unique risk factors.
Some common causes of Uber accidents include:
- Distracted driving – Uber drivers can be easily distracted looking for passengers to pick up or checking their phones for directions.
- Driver fatigue – Rideshare drivers are often completing their jobs on top of their full-time jobs, meaning they are likely to be exhausted. Uber drivers may end up pushing themselves to take on more and more jobs to make ends meet, leading to fatigued driving.
- Poor vehicle maintenance – Rideshare drivers may neglect to perform routine vehicle maintenance, as they need to use their vehicles to make money. Tire or brake malfunctions can lead to dangerous accidents.
- Driver inexperience – Uber drivers are not required to go through driving training or have a specific level of experience.
These are just a few risk factors for Uber drivers that can lead to rideshare accidents.
Understanding Claims and Liability After an Uber Accident
Uber offers an insurance policy with $1 million in coverage for accident liability. However, this insurance policy is subject to specific restrictions.
Uber’s insurance policy will cover an accident in these scenarios:
- The driver caused the crash while signed in to the app, and when they either had a passenger or is driving to pick up a passenger
- The driver caused the crash while waiting on a passenger pickup – while the driver’s personal insurance company is still the primary insurer in this case, Uber’s insurance will apply if the primary insurer denies or does not cover all expenses
- The driver did not cause the crash, but the driver who did cause the crash has no car insurance – in limited cases
If the Uber driver was not signed into the app at the time of the accident, then the driver’s insurance will be responsible for all costs. As Pennsylvania is a no-fault insurance state, all drivers are required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. You have a right to file with your insurance provider after an accident, no matter who was at fault, but PIP insurance coverage can be limited.
In any case, becoming the victim of a Uber accident may mean you will need to fight both the driver’s insurance and Uber’s insurance company to recover damages. Your insurance provider will likely be unable to provide the coverage you’ll need for a full recovery. That is why it is important to involve an Uber accident attorney as soon as possible in your case. Your attorney will help you pursue the best possible accident compensation you are owed.
Protecting Your Rights as an Uber Passenger
After experiencing an Uber accident, it is important to take steps to protect your rights and your claim. Reaching out to an attorney as soon as possible will help you get started with your case.
In the immediate aftermath of a rideshare accident, take the following steps:
- Call the police and ensure they file a formal report of the accident. Request a copy of this report.
- Record any relevant details, including the make, model, and license plate numbers of all involved vehicles as well as contact information of involved parties and witnesses.
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene.
- Take notes of any relevant facts of the scene at the moment, whenever possible, including anything about your Uber driver.
- Get medical treatment immediately. Even if you don’t believe you were injured, some injuries may take hours or days to show up, and if you wait this long to seek treatment you may find it harder to connect your injuries with your accident.
Taking these steps will greatly increase the chances of success in your claim. However, your injuries may have been so severe that you were rendered unable to take one or more of these steps. In this case, reaching out to an attorney as soon as you are well enough to do so is crucial. Our Uber accident lawyers at Munley Law can get started on obtaining this relevant information on your behalf once you reach out to us. We have the resources needed to thoroughly investigate all aspects of your Uber crash.
How Much Can I Recover in an Uber Accident Settlement?
Knowing the average Uber accident settlement will likely not help determine potential compensation for your case. Every accident is unique, and it can be nearly impossible to calculate an Uber accident settlement without knowing all of the facts in the case. Certain factors can greatly impact how much you might receive in a settlement, including:
- The type and severity of your injuries
- Your expenses for medical care and property damage
- Your pain, suffering, and mental damages
- Whether the accident resulted in temporary or permanent disability
- Whether the accident resulted in disfigurement
- Your total in lost wages and other income
- Whether your loved one lost their life in an Uber accident
When you work with Munley Law, we can calculate your compensation owed due to these factors. We can also work with economic and financial experts to calculate projected future losses due to reduced earning capacity, long-term medical rehabilitation, and other future costs.
Can I Sue Uber Directly for My Accident?
When it comes to Uber accidents, many people may be under the impression that they will be suing Uber directly. Some accident victims may wonder if suing Uber for an accident might be a better way to secure compensation. However, when pursuing a claim for an Uber accident, it is incredibly unlikely that you will sue the Uber company directly.
People who drive for Uber and other ridesharing companies are considered independent contractors rather than employees. Independent contractors act independently of companies that hire their services. Therefore, the actions of an independent contractor resulting in a car accident do not generally leave Uber open to liability.
However, this doesn’t mean that Uber as a company can never be considered liable in any car crash involving an Uber driver. Uber must stick to basic standards regarding drivers they approve to drive for their company. Uber drivers must, at a bare minimum, carry a valid license and have a good driving record. Uber is also required to perform basic criminal background checks on potential drivers.
To pursue a claim against the Uber company itself, you must be able to prove the company retained a driver who did not meet these requirements, resulting in an accident that caused injury to you.
Let Munley Law Help You After Your Rideshare Accident
Have you or someone you loved been injured in an accident involving an Uber driver? Get help from Munley Law right away. Whether you were a passenger or struck by an Uber driver, our Uber accident attorneys can get to work for you.
Our lawyers at Munley Law are all highly skilled at helping clients get the compensation they need. We are willing to fight for you through settlement or trial to secure a favorable outcome in your case. Our attorney’s experience speaks for itself, and we’ve obtained settlements in the millions for complex car accident cases.
Reach out to our office in Bethlehem for a free initial consultation with one of our trusted Uber accident lawyers. Call or contact us online today!