Daniel W. Munley
Daniel W. Munley is an award-winning personal injury lawyer and a champion of plaintiffs’ rights. For decades, Dan has tirelessly fought to win millions for injured victims of tragic accidents and their families. While Dan handles a range of complex personal injury cases, he is widely regarded as a national leader in traumatic brain injury and tractor-trailer accident litigation. Through hard work and unrelenting commitment to his clients, he has won numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements. Just recently, Dan strategically negotiated a record-setting $26 million settlement for a truck accident victim.
Aseasoned truck accident lawyer, Daniel served as Chairperson of the American Association for Justice’s Trucking Litigation Group from 2011-2012, and currently serves on the executive board for that group. In 2020, he received the Robert W. Munley Champion of Justice Award (previously the Chairman’s Award) from the American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Group. He has been certified by the Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, and board-certified in Truck Accident Law and Civil Trial Practice by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Daniel has been named among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania, the Trucking Trial Lawyers Top Ten, and has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers. He was selected “Lawyer of the Year: Product Liability– Plaintiffs” for the Allentown Metro Area in 2020 by Best Lawyers. That same year, he was one of only two lawyers in the region named to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiffs’ Lawyers. He has earned an AV-Preeminent rating and a Platinum-Level Client Champion designation from Martindale-Hubbell.
In addition to his major tractor-trailer crash victories, Dan regularly presents cutting-edge truck accident trial techniques at conferences around the country. Dan also works determinedly to improve the greater Scranton community. He serves as a board member for the Everhart Museum and coaches little league baseball, basketball, and softball. Dan and his wife Valerie Munley are the proud parents of four wonderful children.
- $26 million for a truck accident victim who suffered traumatic brain injury
- Kowalski v. PBM Logistics, LLC et al
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Group “Robert W. Munley Award”
- Board Certified Advocate, Civil Trial, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Lawyer of the Year, Product Liability Litigation-Plaintiffs, Allentown Metro Area, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Recognition by the National Law Journal: a truck accident case settlement reached by Daniel and Marion Munley was the 2nd highest settlement in Pennsylvania, and the 25th highest in the U.S. in 2015.
- Certification by the Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (AITLA)
- Top Ten Trucking Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania, the National Trial Lawyers Association
- Recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- Listed in “Best Lawyers in America”
- Past Chairperson, Trucking Litigation Group, American Association of Justice
- Charter member and current Executive Board member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Trucking Litigation Group
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer 2011-2020
- Named to the Irish Legal 100, 2016
- Rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Platinum-Level Client Champion award from Martindale-Hubbel
- 2020 Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Oklahoma, Juris Doctor, 1994, American Jurisprudence Award of Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, Bachelor of Science, Dean’s List, 1990
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lackawanna Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Regents, Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys
- “Trucking Technology: What to get, How to get it, and Why your case needs it,” American Association for Justice Amped Up Annual Convention, July 2020
- “Why Getting the Trucker’s Cell Phone is the Key to Punitive Damages,” Atlas Lawyers Seminar, Myrtle Beach, SC, October 3 2019
- “How to Use Discovery to Turn a Simple Trucking Case into a Multi-Million Dollar Case,” Atlas Lawyers Seminar, Myrtle Beach, SC, October 3 2019
- Demystifying Your First Truck Trial, Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys Annual Symposium, Nashville, TN, September 12, 2019.
- Using Injunctions and Legal Process to Get Access to the Truck and Obtain the Data and the Cell Phones/Tablets/Telematics, Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys Annual Symposium, Nashville, TN, September 12, 2019.
- Presenter, Maximizing Settlement Dollars in Trucking Cases, New Jersey Association for Justice Educational Foundation’s Trucking Litigation Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ, May 10, 2o18
- Speaker, Cross-Examining the Crash Reconstruction Expert, American Association for Justice Jazz Fest Seminar, New Orleans, LA May 4, 2018.
- Speaker, Lecture and Demonstration: Winning the Tough Liability Truck Crash Case and Igniting the Big Bang Verdict: “Putting it All Together for the Big Verdict,” American Association for Justice Advanced Trial Advocacy College: Litigating Truck Collision Cases, Scottsdale, AZ March 23, 2018
- Presenter, Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys 2017 Annual Symposium, Nashville, TN, September 17, 2017
- Speaker, “Spoliation and Preservation of Evidence,” Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys 2016 Annual Symposium, September 28, 2016.
- Speaker, “Successfully Handling and Litigating the Commercial Truck Case,” Minnesota Association for Justice, May 19, 2016.
- Speaker, “Trucking Rules of the Road: Essential FMCSA Regulations and the CDL Manual,” New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar, Atlantic City, NJ, April 7, 2016.
- Speaker, “Major Highway Crash Investigation and the Preservation of Evidence,” Hell on the Highways Seminar, Florida Association for Justice, St. Augustine, FL, December 3, 2015.
- Speaker, Advocacy360 Conference, “How to Win Trucking Cases.” Las Vegas, NV, November 2, 2015
- American Association for Justice Advanced Trial Advocacy College: Truck Collision Case Litigation. Dallas, TX, October 8, 2015
- Speaker, New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Convention in Atlantic City, NJ, April 30, 2015: “Discovery Issues in Tractor Trailer Litigation”
- Speaker, Kentucky Justice Association, “How To Litigate That Big Truck Case”
- Presenter, AAJ, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, “Why a Truck Collision Case Must Be Handled Differently Than an Auto Collision Case”
- Presenter, AAJ, Seattle, WA, “Discovery in a Tractor-Trailer Case”
- Presenter, AAJ, Las Vegas, NV, “Cross-Examining Defense Experts”
- Presenter, St. Louis, MO, “Violations as a Path to Justice”
- Presenter, Nashville, Tennessee and Lexington, KY, “Early Discovery in Interstate Trucking Litigation Cases”
- Presenter, Atlanta, GA, “Spoliation of the Log Books – How Trucking Companies Try to Hide the Truth”
- Lecturer, University of Scranton, Nursing Home Litigation
- Presenter, Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America Super Summit, St. Louis, MO, “Discovery in a Trucking Litigation Case”
- Recognition, French Consulate, NYC, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Trial Lawyers Care for representation of Dening Lohez whose husband was killed in the terror attacks on September 11, 2001
- Pennsylvania Rising Stars Super Lawyer 2005, 2006, 2010
- Member, Trial Lawyers Care, the largest pro bono effort in the United States following the 2001 terror attacks
- Member, American Association of Justice PAC
- Member, Public Relations Committee, American Association of Justice
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Small Business Litigation Group
Family & Community
- Board of Directors, Everhart Museum
- Coach, Little League Baseball
- Coach, Boys’ Basketball
- Coach, Girls’ Softball
- Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
- Solicitor, Board of Directors, Abington Little League
- Board of Directors, Black and Blue Ball, Muscular Dystrophy Association 2007, 2008, 2009
- Board Member, Forum Towers
- Featured Speaker at the Council for Community Affairs Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Dinner, Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Daniel is married to Valerie Munley and is the proud father of three children