James Christopher Munley
James Christopher Munley is an award-winning plaintiffs’ lawyer who has dedicated his career to fighting for accident victims and their families. As a board-certified civil trial advocate, Chris is widely regarded across the United States as a leading personal injury attorney. Chris has zealously represented thousands of truck collision, car crash, medical malpractice, and other catastrophic accident victims, winning millions for his clients. A champion of workers’ rights, Chris was recognized as the workers’ compensation Lawyer of the Year, and has been named to the lists of Best Lawyers in America, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, and Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania. Outside of his contributions in courtrooms and negotiation rooms across the United States, Chris is dedicated to improving local Pennsylvania communities. He serves as the chairman of Lackawanna County’s PNC Field, which is home to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders (a New York Yankees AAA Affiliate), the President of the Scranton Club, and a board member for the Northeast Pennsylvania Chapter of the Girl Scouts of America. In addition, he regularly speaks at senior community centers on relevant safety topics. Chris and his wife Dr. Maria Yager Munley are the proud parents of two children.
Contact James Christopher Munley
settlement for a tragic airplane crash
truck accident victim who suffered traumatic brain injury
jury verdict in teens’ death caused by car accident
family of a Marine who was killed in a truck crash
fatal truck crash
seriously injured in a truck accident
Settlement for Woman misdiagnosed with cancer.
Settlement for driver of a van involved in accident with a truck.
Verdict for family injured by 16-year-old-driver.
Jury verdict against bank for breach of verbal loan agreement.
Settlement in ER Wrongful Death case.
Settlement for boy hit by bus at summer camp.
Honors and Awards
- Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocates
- Listed in “Best Lawyers in America” by the legal guide Best Lawyers
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for Workers’ Compensation-Claimants by Best Lawyers, 2016
- AV-Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list since 2005
- Named to the Irish Legal 100
- Named to Top 100 Trial Lawyers in PA by National Trial Lawyers Association
Oklahoma University, School of Law
Oklahoma City, OK, Juris Doctor, 1994
Catholic University of America Washington
DC , Bachelor of Arts, 1990
Gerry Spence Regional Trial Lawyers College
Executive Education Certificate, The Ultimate in Trial Advocacy
United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lackawanna and Luzerne County Bar Associations
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Board of Governors
- Former Member of Young Lawyers Division Lackawanna Bar Association
- Speaker, Lackawanna Bar Association CLE, “Five Ways to Market Your Firm Without Spending Money,” August 30, 2018
- Lackawanna Bar Association Committee Assignments – Fee Dispute Committee, Nominating Committee, Golf Outing Committee
- Moderator, Lackawanna County Bar Association Annual Meeting, 1998 Rules of Civil Procedure
- Council for Community Affairs, Annual Meeting January 2001
Founded ATLAS Lawyers, a national legal marketing and management seminar series, to provide both legal marketing and practice management advice for small to mid-sized law firms. Past seminars:
- October 2019, Myrtle Beach, SC
- February 2018, Marriot Biscayne Bay, Miami, FL
- April 2015, Hilton Bonnett Creek, Orlando, FL
- September 2013, The W Hotel, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- April 2013, The Washington Marriott, Washington, D.C.
- October 2012, The W Hotel, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- October 2011, Historic Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, Scranton, PA
- March 2011, Naples Grand, Naples, FL
- February 2010, Naples Grand, Naples, FL
- March 2009, The Buena Vista Palace, Disney World, FL
- September 2008, The Phoenician, Scottsdale, AZ
- February 2008, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Family & Community
- Chairman, Multi-Purpose Stadium Authority of Lackawanna County, owner of PNC Field, home of the New York Yankees AAA Affiliate the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders
- President, Board of Directors, The Scranton Club
- Member, Jeffrey M. Davis Scholarship Award Committee
- Board of Directors, Northeast Pennsylvania Chapter Girl Scouts of America
- Speaker at Regional Senior Centers on “Identity Theft” on how to avoid becoming a victim and steps to take if you discover your identity has been stolen
- Speaker at Regional Senior Centers on the topic “Preparing for Surgery”
- Chris is married to Dr. Maria Yager Munley and is the proud father of two children.
Chris Munley represented my dad at a very difficult time with compassion yet in the court room he was the fighter we needed. Chris helped my family during a time of incredible hardship when my dad was hit head on by 2 teenage girls. He took the time to answer all of our questions at any given time when we needed him. He treated my entire family with respect and helped us to get what we deserved. I would recommend Chris Munley to anyone in need of a reliable, determined, and trustworthy attorney.
Chris Munley promised results, and that’s what I got. He was very compassionate and he answered every question I had about my personal injury case. When we couldn’t settle with the insurance company out of court, he was a fighter in the courtroom. Needless to say, we won and I couldn’t be happier with the results.
You can put your trust into Chris Munley. A couple of years ago I got into a car crash and didn’t think I would recover financially. The insurance company had denied my claim and I thought that was that. But thanks to Mr. Munley, I got the money I needed from the insurance company and I was able to get on with my life. Thank you again, Mr. Munley.
I have worked with Chris, and Munley Law, for many years and recommend and endorse him highly. Chris, his firm, and his family, are extremely reputable and knowledgeable Personal Injury Attorneys with excellent character. Their civil litigation experience is exemplary and I will continue to utilize them as referral attorneys whenever possible.