Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney Marion Munley
Marion Munley is a champion of the civil justice system and the rights of victims—particularly those who have been injured in trucking crashes and by products in the marketplace. She is known for her compassionate approach to representing the catastrophically injured and her tireless devotion to her clients and their families. Marion treats each client like a member of her family. Through her advocacy, she has won many multimillion dollar recoveries for her clients including one the largest trucking accident settlements in history.
Widely recognized as one of the most prominent and widely respected lawyers in the state, Marion is Triple Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Civil Trial, Civil Practice, and Truck Law. Marion has earned an AV-Preeminent designation from Martindale-Hubbell, the industry’s highest ethical and client satisfaction rating.
A leader in the legal community, Marion is an active member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) and currently serves on the AAJ Board of Governors and on its Executive Committee. She was the first woman to become Chair of the AAJ Trucking Litigation Group in 2018 and is a past chair of the AAJ Women Trial Lawyers Caucus. Marion is the second woman in Pennsylvania to become Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Among her other professional affiliations are the American Board of Trial Advocates, the International Society of Barristers, and the Summit Council, an exclusive group of today’s top civil justice attorneys committed to the highest levels of trial advocacy, to obtaining justice for individuals and families who have been hurt by corporate wrongdoing, and to the protection of the civil justice system.
In the course of her career, Marion has received some of the highest honors a lawyer can receive. She has been named to the Best Lawyers in America list by Best Lawyers since 2012 and was selected as “Lawyer of the Year: Personal Injury – Plaintiffs” for the Allentown Metro Area in 2020, and “Lawyer of the Year: Medical Malpractice – Plaintiffs,” for the Allentown Metro Area in 2021. Marion has also been selected to the list of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for the last 15 years and has been consistently recognized as one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in Pennsylvania by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Contact Marion Munley
settlement for a tragic airplane crash
truck accident victim who suffered traumatic brain injury
jury verdict in teens’ death caused by car accident
family of a Marine who was killed in a truck crash
fatal truck crash
seriously injured in a truck accident
Settlement for Woman misdiagnosed with cancer.
Settlement for driver of a van involved in accident with a truck.
Verdict for family injured by 16-year-old-driver.
Jury verdict against bank for breach of verbal loan agreement.
Settlement in ER Wrongful Death case.
Settlement for boy hit by bus at summer camp.
Honors and Awards
- Lawyer of the Year, Medical Malpractice-Plaintiffs, Allentown Metro Area, 2021
- Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs, Allentown Metro Area, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Lawyer of the Year, Product Liability Litigation-Plaintiffs, Allentown Metro Area, Best Lawyers, 2017, 2019
- “Best Lawyers in America” as selected by Best Lawyers, 2012-present
- US. News and World Report’s Best Law Firms
- Recipient, Athena Award, Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce, 2021
- LawDragon 500 Leading Lawyers, 2007, 2019, 2020
- Pennsylvania Trailblazer, as recognized by the Legal Intelligencer, 2019
- Super Lawyer 2004-present, via Thomson-Reuters, a distinction limited to only 5% of the legal community in Pennsylvania
- “Top 50 Women Lawyers in Pennsylvania,” Super Lawyers, 2013-present
- Marie Lambert Award, American Association for Justice Women Trial Lawyers Caucus, 2020
- “Distinguished Service Award,” American Association for Justice Board of Governors, 2020
- “Robert W. Munley Pursuit of Justice Award,” American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Group, 2020
- “Above and Beyond” Award, American Association for Justice, 2018, 2019
- Lynette Norton Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Commission on Women in the Profession, 2016
- Diplomat, National College of Advocacy
- AV-Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Irish Legal 100
- Top 10 Trucking Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania, The National Trial Lawyers
- Woman of Excellence Award Winner, as selected by the Scranton Chamber of Commerce
- Chosen as a Top 25 Women Business Professionals for 2011, Northeast Pennsylvania Business Journal
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Recognition in the The Legal Intelligencer’s list of Largest Awards and Settlements in Pennsylvania, 2018 (Stevens v. Canyon Environmental)
- Recognition by the National Law Journal: a truck accident case settlement reached by Daniel and Marion Munley was the 2nd highest settlement in Pennsylvania, and the 25th highest in the U.S. in 2015.
Temple University School of Law
Philadelphia, PA, Juris Doctor
University of Scranton
Scranton, PA, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
London School of Economics
Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College
Honorary Doctorate, Humane Letters
United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (representing less than 0.5% of American Lawyers)
- International Society of Barristers (2012-present)
- American Association for Justice
- Board of Governors
- Executive Committee
- First woman to serve as Chair, Trucking Litigation Group, 2017-2018
- Past Chair, Women Trial Lawyers Caucus 2016-2017
- Vice Chair, Bus Litigation Group
- Legal Affairs Committee
- National Finance Council
- Retirement Committee
- Publications Committee
- Audit Committee
- Board of Trustees, National College of Advocacy
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Board of Governors
- Member, Legislative Policy Committee
- Chair, Women’s Caucus, 2012-2013
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates, 2006-Present
- The Summit Council
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified Advocate, Civil Trial; second woman in Pennsylvania to earn certification
- Board Certified Advocate, Civil Practice
- Board Certified Advocate, Truck Law; among the first 40 lawyers in the U.S. to earn certification in this field
- Second woman in the nation to earn triple board certification
- Board of Regents, Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys
- Lawyers Advisory Committee of the Judicial Counsel of the Third Circuit 2008-2011
- National Board of Trial Advocates
- Member, Board of Directors
- Attorney Information Exchange Group (AIEG) 2019-present
- Treasurer, Melvin M. Belli Society
Presentations, CLEs, and Speaking Engagements
- Faculty, Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College 2005-2010; 2020-present
- American Association for Justice New Lawyers Bootcamp webinar, “Making Sure the Case Keeps Moving,” May 10, 2021
- Faculty, Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Persuasion Skills for Trial Success webcast, “Jury Trials in a Pandemic (Focus on Opening Statements).” March 25, 2021
- Speaker, Attorneys Information Exchange Group, “Trial sequencing: What do we need to consider to tell the right story?” February 11, 2021.
- Panelist, Maryland Association for Justice: The Daubert Decision: Where Do We Go From Here? January 19, 2021
- “Setting Up Your Trial Story In a Truck Case,” Washington State Association for Justice Winter Conference, December 10, 2020
- “Ethical Considerations of Co-Counseling and Other Recent Ethical Issues,” South Carolina Association for Justice Advanced Trial Lawyer College Auto Tort Seminar. December 4, 2020
- Superstar A-Z series hosted by the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles. December 3, 2020
- “Setting Up Your Trial Story with Key Admissions from the Safety Director and Corporate Representative,” Attorneys Information Exchange Group, Virtual Symposium, November 19, 2020
- “Using the 30(b)(6) of the Safety Director to Set up Your Trial Story.” Minnesota Association for Justice: Framing and Trying the Trucking Case. October 28, 2020.
- “Truck Crash Cases: What You Absolutely Need to Know to Persuade the Jury,” Melvin M. Belli Society Free Webinar Series, August 12, 2020
- “Teeing Up for Trial: The Last 60 Days Before Trial,” The Trial School’s Champions of Trial Boot Camp. July 17, 2020.
- “Ethical Considerations of Co-Counseling and Other Recent Ethical Issues” American Association for Justice Amped Up, July 13, 2020
- “Who besides the client and experts do you call as damages witnesses?” Pennsylvania Association for Justice Annual Retreat, Women Trial Lawyers Section CLE: Maximizing Non-Economic Damages at Trial, July 8, 2020
- “Preparing the client for his/her day in Court; what to do; what not to do,” Pennsylvania Association for Justice Annual Retreat, Women Trial Lawyers Section CLE: Maximizing Non-Economic Damages at Trial, July 8, 2020
- “The Latest in Crash Reconstruction Technology” American Association for Justice Winter Convention, New Orleans, LA, February 8, 2020
- “Key Written Discovery in the Truck Crash Case,” Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys Annual Symposium, Nashville, TN, September 13, 2019.
- “Utilizing Your Experts in Preparing for and Attending the Defense Depositions,” Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys Annual Symposium, Nashville, TN, September 13, 2019.
- Speaker, “Framing the Tough Liability Truck Crash Case,” Trucking/Bus Litigation Group CLE Program, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, San Diego, July 27, 2019.
- Faculty, “Exaggerated Liability: Punitive Damages in Truck Cases.” Melvin M. Belli Society, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, San Diego, July 26, 2019.
- Speaker, “Infotainment Centers: Obtaining the Information You Need,” Advocacy Track: Getting the Information You Need: Written Requests, Electronic Discovery, and Audit Trails (presented with the New Lawyers Division) CLE Program, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, San Diego, July 26, 2019
- Speaker, “Trucking Litigation A-to-Z,” Mississippi Association for Justice, New Orleans, LA, June 6 2019.
- Speaker, “Trucking Litigation A to Z” Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association, Eureka Springs, April 2019.
- Speaker, “A Practical Guide to Handling a Trucking Case,” Pennsylvania Association for Justice Annual Auto Law Seminar. Harrisburg, May 4, 2018; Philadelphia, May 24, 2018
- Speaker, “Using Electronic Data Recorders,” 360 Advocacy Auto Crash Litigation 5.0, Las Vegas, NV, April 26, 2018
- Presenter, “Truck Accident Cases from A to Z,” Atlas Lawyers Seminar, Miami FL, Feb 21-23, 2018
- Panelist, Ethical Considerations of Co-Counseling, American Association for Justice Winter Convention, February 4, 2018
- Presenter, “Tractor Trailer Cases are Different: From Investigation to Trial,” Louisiana Association for Justice CLE Conference, New Orleans, LA, December 14, 2017
- Speaker/Co-Chair, “Tried and True Trucking Trial Tactics,” AAJ Trucking Litigation Group Members Only Seminar, Palm Beach, FL, December 8, 2017
- Presenter, “Training: Proper Visual Search and Hazard Perception,” Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys 2017 Annual Symposium, Nashville, TN, September 18 2017.
- Presenter, “Building the Punitive Damage Case,” Trucking Litigation Group CLE Program, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, July 22, 2017
- Presenter, “Cross-Examination of Key Defense Witnesses in the Tractor-Trailer Case,” Melvin M. Belli Society Seminar, July 21, 2017
- Presenter, “Persuasion Through Cross-Examination: Finding the One Thing, How to Avoid Chasing Two Rabbits.” Western Trial Lawyers Association Maui Seminar, June 12-15, 2017
- Presenter, “Collision Investigation and Reconstruction in Motor Vehicle Cases,” Keeping the Roads Safe CLE, American Association for Justice Winter Convention, February 12, 2017
- Presenter, “The Shell Game, The Deep Dive, The Payoff: Uncovering All the Parties and Finding Hours of-Service and Other Violations to Pursue Punitive Damages.” Ohio Association for Justice Annual Convention, Columbus, OH, May 6, 2016
- Presenter, “Demonstrative Evidence: Using Visual Storytelling to prove Damages,” AAJ Winter Convention, February 26, 2016
- Panelist, “Case Selection: Mistakes to Avoid,” Women Trial Lawyers Caucus Leadership Summit, AAJ Winter Convention, February 26, 2016
- Presenter, “The Malpractice Risk of Electronic Health Records,” Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity Conference, August 7, 2015
- Presenter, “Why Bus Accident Cases are Different from Car Accident Cases,” American Association for Justice Convention in Montreal, Canada, June 13, 2015
- Presenter, “Video Depositions – How, When, and Why to Use Them,” at the American Association for Justice Convention in Palm Springs, CA, February 25, 2015
- Presenter, “Preparing for Major Truck Injury Cases,” Melvin M. Belli Seminar, MD July 25, 2014
- Presenter, Kentucky Association for Justice, “Corporate Representative Deposition in Truck Cases,” Covington, KY 2013
- Presenter, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA, “Investigating Truck Crashes,” 2013
- Presenter, New Jersey Association for Justice, “Investigating Evidence Exhibits in Truck Cases,” Atlantic City, NJ 2012
- Panelist, “Leadership in the Law,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar, Scranton, PA June 29, 2011
- Faculty Member, Second Trial Advocacy College: Litigating Truck Collision Cases, American Association for Justice, Kansas City 2011
- Presenter, “Discovery in Trucking Cases,” American Association for Justice, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, October 8, 2010
- Presenter, “The Butcher, The Baker, and The Candlestick Maker: Persuading the Jury in Tractor Trailer Cases,” American Association for Justice, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group Seminar, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada July 10, 2010
- Presenter, “Review & Update: All the Latest Regarding Federal regulations,” American Association for justice Litigating Trucking Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, 2009
- Faculty Member, First Trial Advocacy College: “Litigating truck collision cases,” American Association for Justice, Atlanta, GA 2009
- Presenter and Moderator, “Selecting, Investigating, Evaluation, and Settling Personal Injury Cases,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA 2009
- Presenter, “Unique Discovery Issues in Trucking Cases – Not your Daddy’s Deposition,” American Association for Justice Interstate Trucking Litigation Group Seminar, San Francisco, CA, 2009
- Frequent lecturer for the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Lorman Educational Service on topics of Trial Strategy and Tactics
Publications and Other Achievements…
- Author, Pennsylvania Rules of the Road, 2018-2019 ed., Volume 13, Chapter 9: Commercial Motor Vehicles. Thompson West, 2018.
- Podcast, “Building Equity in the Legal Industry from the Inside Out,” Trial Lawyer Nation, May 2018.
- Author, “Charting a Course to Justice for Victims of Fertility Treatment Negligence.” The Legal Intelligencer, November 12, 2019
- Author, “Retrieving Electronic Crash Data,” Trial Magazine, February 2018.
- Author, “The Liability of Hospitals and Doctors Printing 3D Medical Devices,” The Legal Intelligencer Medical Malpractice Supplement, 2017
- Author, “Interconnectedness and Manufacturer Responsibility in Automated Vehicles,” The Legal Intelligencer Personal Injury Supplement, 2016
- Author, “Corporate Settlement Mills and Victim Compensation,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2015
- Author, “The Malpractice Risk of Electronic Health Records,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2015
- Author, “Death of the Jury Trial,” Women Trial Lawyers Caucus Newsletter Connections Count, 2014
- Author, “Why A-Rod Made Me Love the Constitution More,” American Association of Justice Journal of Interstate Trucking, 2014
- Author of “Power-Up Your Discovery In Trucking Cases” for Trial magazine, the official publication of the American Associations for Justice.
- Pennsylvania Cable Network commentator, Pennsylvania Superior Court en banc session, Tuesday, April 5, 2011.
- Legal Commentator “The Law and You” WYOU 2007-2013
Family & Community
- Member, Board of Trustees, Marywood University 2008-2017; Chair, 2011-2014
- Member, Trial Lawyers Care, the largest pro bono effort in the United States following the 2001 terror attacks; represented a rescue worker before the Victim’s Compensation Fund in New York City
- Member, Daughters of the American Revolution 2013
- Member, Board of Directors, Lake George Land Conservancy, 2006-2011
- Member, Peckville Business and Professional Women, Past President 1995-1996
- Volunteer, Hope Clinic, providing free legal services to those in need 2006-2016
- Marion is married to Congressman Matt Cartwright and is the proud mother of two sons.
I had a complex medical malpractice case and I wasn’t sure if there was an liability there. I felt there was some negligent behavior on the part of some nursing home staff. This firm, through Marion Munley, took me through all the steps necessary to prove negligent behavior that might have caused death of my loved one. She was very compassionate and very detailed and patience. I think they are a terrific firm. There wasn’t anything I disliked… I would highly recommend them as a Personal Injury Law Firm. They also handle all types of car and truck accidents, workers compensation and social security disability. I think they are the best in town.
I have worked with Marion through the American Association of Justice, Trucking Litigation Group. Marion has distinguished herself as an inspirational leader who gives of her time for the greater good of all. She is a hard worker accomplishing great results for her clients. She also is willing to share her knowledge with any and all attorneys who have dedicated their practice to representing clients who are the victims of highway crashes. This week, Marion was elected to the AAJ Board of Governors as an at-large Board Member. This achievement demonstrates peer recognition of Marion’s commitment to highway safety. It is with great pleasure that I give Marion the highest of all possible recommendations.
Marion is a tremendous lawyer and leader within the legal community. She cares deeply about her clients. I have always known her to overcome every obstacle in even the most difficult cases – to achieve justice for her clients. When it comes to personal injury lawyers in Pennsylvania – she is in a very select group of top trial lawyers.
Marion Munley is one of the brightest and most respected lawyers in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I am proud to call her my friend and fellow trial lawyer.
Marion not only is an accomplished lawyer who gets great results, but also she brings genuine compassion and zealous advocacy to each person she represents. Our firms have worked together on important cases and I look forward to future opportunities to work together.