Munley Law fights for Stroudsburg pedestrian accident victims and their families. Call today for a free case review.
“On average, a pedestrian [is] killed every two hours and injured every 8 minutes in traffic crashes.”
This statement from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) underscores the extreme risks facing pedestrians in towns such as Stroudsburg and other locations throughout Pennsylvania. Downtown Stroudsburg is a beautiful place to walk around, and the more pedestrians there are, the more likely it is for pedestrian accidents to occur. Walking and jogging near motor vehicles can be extremely dangerous, which is why it is important to be when careful sharing the road. Unfortunately, even those taking safety precautions remain at risk of serious injuries in unexpected collisions.
$32 Million Wrongful Death
$26 Million Truck Accident
$17.5 Million Car Accident
$12 Million Product liability
$8 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident/Wrongful Death
$7.5 Million Auto Accident
$6.9 Million Garbage Truck Crash
$6.5 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
$5 Million Medical Malpractice
$5 Million Bus Accident
$4.7 Million Truck Accident
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, your family deserves justice. Your outstanding medical bills are just a small portion of the losses you are likely to experience caused by the accident. The future costs of treatment, rehabilitation, and prescription medications could far exceed what you owe currently. If you are unable to work, if you experience chronic pain and suffering, or if you are unable to enjoy spending time with your friends and loved ones, these are all losses for which financial compensation is available with the help of a Stroudsburg pedestrian accident lawyer at Munley Law.
Why Do You Need a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
Facing the insurance company on your own after a pedestrian accident can be frustrating and confusing. The insurance company will do whatever it can to get you to accept a settlement offer that is much less than what your personal injury claim is worth. To receive the maximum compensation for your accident, your best option is to pick up the phone and contact a pedestrian accident attorney at Munley Law.
Since 1959, the Stroudsburg personal injury lawyers at Munley Law have been fighting for injury victims throughout Monroe County. Our Stroudsburg car accident lawyers have received nationwide recognition from our peers and legal organizations for our work in car and truck accidents. The majority of our attorneys are board certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, an organization that certifies attorneys that have demonstrated high standards of competence and integrity.
We understand what is at stake and know what it takes to win just compensation for our clients. From helping you obtain expert medical treatment to negotiating with the insurance company, we can help you every step of the way – and we will not stop fighting until you receive the full compensation you deserve. Call our Stroudsburg office today to schedule a free case review. No fee unless we win your case.
“Chris Munley promised results, and that’s what I got. He was very compassionate, and he answered every question I had about my personal injury case. When we couldn’t settle with the insurance company out of court, he was a fighter in the courtroom. Needless to say, we won, and I couldn’t be happier with the results.” – Patrick, Personal Injury Client
What Are the Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Stroudsburg?
According to the latest data from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, pedestrian accident fatalities have increased year over year. PennDOT found that there were 182 pedestrian fatalities throughout the state in 2021, up from 146 in 2020. They accounted for 15% of the fatalities in Pennslyvania in 2021.
What causes pedestrian accidents? Many of the factors are similar to common causes of car accidents, such as:
- Aggressive driving, speeding or trying to “beat” a yellow light at an intersection with a crosswalk as a pedestrian is trying to cross
- Careless driving, such as turning without looking for pedestrians and failing to yield to pedestrians crossing the road
- Dangerous crosswalks, including issues of limited visibility and inadequate time to cross before the light changes
- Distracted driving, including talking, texting, using social media, eating, and navigating behind the wheel
- Drowsy and fatigued driving, including accidents caused by drivers who have fallen asleep behind the wheel
- Impaired driving, such as driving under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or prescription medications
- Other dangerous crosswalk conditions and forms of driver negligence
Regardless of the circumstances involved in your accident, it is important that you speak with an experienced car accident lawyer about your legal rights. At Munley Law, we offer free initial consultations and we do not charge any fees or costs unless we win your case.
What Do I Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Stroudsburg?
While crossing Main Street to head to Main Street Jukebox, you were hit by a distracted driver. You smacked your head against the pavement when you fell. You now are suffering from a serious concussion along with some broken bones. What are your next steps?
Any accident caused by the recklessness of another individual is a time of confusion. You may be too concerned about your injuries than getting the compensation to pay your bills. When it is time to submit an insurance claim, you may not even know what your first steps should be.
Your first step is to make sure someone contacts emergency services and that help is on the way. If you are not too injured, you’re going to start gathering as much evidence as you can. Get contact information from any witnesses and the driver. Try to snap a few pictures of the accident scene. If the driver had fled the scene after the accident, try to get as much information as you can about the vehicle that hit you.
When the police arrive, give a brief statement about what happened. Try to keep your comments as factual as possible and don’t try to assume or give an opinion about what happened.
Get medical treatment as soon as possible. This is crucial for your personal injury case and for your health.
In the following days, you’ll want to keep track of any medical bills and time away from work. Finally, when you’re ready to speak, contact the pedestrian accident lawyers at Munley Law to learn what your rights are. We will begin the claims process and make sure your case is on solid ground so you can receive the maximum compensation available for your claim.
How Do I Know How Much Financial Compensation My Case is Worth?
Understanding your rights after an accident can be difficult. To determine how much you are entitled to recover, you need to know who was at fault in the accident and how your injuries will impact your life in the years to come. This requires extensive experience in personal injury insurance settlements and litigation. As a result, the best way to learn about your rights is to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced pedestrian injury attorney.
During your consultation, your personal injury attorney will explain your rights and give you a rough estimate of what your case is worth. Some of the factors that will be taken into account include but are not limited to:
- The extent of your injuries: For example, if you suffered road rash and a couple of bumps and bruises, your accident claim will not be on the same level as someone who suffered a traumatic brain injury.
- The complexity of your case: If the driver did flee the scene soon after the crash, it may make your claim more difficult.
- The parties responsible for the accident: Sometimes, a car accident could involve multiple parties. Your personal injury attorney will need to figure out who is to blame for your injuries.
It’s important to start your personal injury claim as soon as possible after your accident so your rights are protected and you can receive compensation sooner rather than later.
How Can Pedestrians Protect Themselves From Car Accidents?
Both pedestrians and motorists should be vigilant and follow these simple tips in order to prevent any sort of accident from happening.
If you are a pedestrian, you should:
- Always use sidewalks/crosswalks instead of walking in between parked cars.
- Stay visible at all times. For example, if it’s nighttime, wear light-colored clothing or use your phone’s flashlight.
- Be especially alert at intersections. Don’t assume the driver will yield for you.
- Be careful around parked vehicles.
- Avoid distractions while walking such as texting, talking on your phone, or listening to music through headphones.
- Look both ways before crossing the street, even if it’s one-way.
If you are a motorist, you should:
- Follow the speed limit and obey the traffic laws.
- Yield to pedestrians. They have the right of way.
- Never drink and drive or drive under the influence of drugs.
- Always stay alert for pedestrians. They may not be paying attention when crossing in front of you.
- Check both ways before turning to make sure no one is crossing at that time.
- If an accident does occur, do not leave the scene. A pedestrian accident will become worse for you if it becomes a hit and run auto accident.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pedestrian Accidents in Stroudsburg
Q: What Damages Can I Recover For My Accident?
If you were seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, our auto accident attorneys can help you seek full compensation for your financial and non-financial losses. This includes:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of support
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
Many individuals who suffer traumatic accident-related injuries will experience chronic pain and find it difficult to adjust to life with a debilitating injury. Filing a case and receiving the justice you deserve can help make things a little bit easier.
Q: Can a Pedestrian Ever Be at Fault for an Accident?
Yes, they can. Just as a driver can be at fault for the accident, so can a pedestrian. If a pedestrian is reckless and does not follow traffic rules, such as using the crosswalk, and an accident occurs, the pedestrian can be sued for negligence.
Q: What are Some Common Injuries Associated with Pedestrian Accidents?
As you can imagine, pedestrians could suffer severe injuries following a motor vehicle accident. Some common severe injuries that you could receive compensation for include but are not limited to:
- Brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Broken bones
Q: How Long Do I Have to File a Claim for a Pedestrian Accident in Pennsylvania?
Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. However, to protect your claim for maximum compensation, it is important that you initiate your claim as soon as possible.
Munley Law is Prepared to Fight on Your Behalf
If you were injured or lost a loved one after a pedestrian accident in Stroudsburg, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the guilty party. Munley Law has been helping injury victims for more than 60 years. We understand the car accident laws and we are prepared to get you the compensation you deserve following an accident.
To speak with an injury attorney about your accident in Stroudsburg, please call or send us a message online. You can reach us 24/7, and if necessary, we can take action immediately in order to protect your rights.