9 Steps To Take When You Are In An Accident
Every year there are over 10 million auto accidents in which 2 million people are injured and 37,000 are killed. With over 253 million vehicles on the roads today, the chances of someone being involved in a car accident are incredibly high. Not all accidents involve serious injury or death, but that does not limit the stress that a car crash can cause. After a car accident, it is often difficult to make sure you handle the accident properly. The car accident lawyers at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys have put together a 9-step list of what you should do immediately following an accident. You should:
1.) STAY CALM, KEEP THE ACCIDENT FROM GETTING WORSE
• Turn off the vehicle’s ignition
• Turn on four-way flashers
2.) RENDER AID
If anyone has been injured in the accident:
• Render first aid but only do so if you are first aid qualified
• Stop any bleeding
• Call an ambulance
• Do not move an injured person in any way that could possibly add to the injury
3.) PROTECT THE SCENE FROM FURTHER DAMAGE
• Make sure motorists approaching the accident are warned
4.) CALL POLICE
• Always call the police so that there is an accident report on file
• Think before you speak. Tell the police officer the true facts of the accident
• Cooperate fully with the police officer
5.) GATHER INFORMATION – WRITE IT DOWN!
• If you are able, and it creates no danger to yourself or anyone else, get names, addresses and phone numbers from all witnesses
• Make a mental note of comments you hear, such as, “That blue car shot past me”.
6.) SEE YOUR DOCTOR
Serious injuries do not always result in immediate pain. If there is the slightest chance you may be injured, see your doctor.
7.) NOTIFY YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY
Cooperate fully with your insurance company
8.) REPORT THE ACCIDENT
Pennsylvania Law requires that you file an accident report within two days after an accident. Your insurance company or the police department will provide you with the standard form.
9.) IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED, SEE A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY
Consult an attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury cases caused by car accidents. You can talk to the lawyers at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys by calling [phone-number] or fill our our online form. We will give you a free, no obligation review of your case. If you are unable to come to the office because of the injuries, then we will meet with you in the hospital or at your home. You do not pay any lawyers fees unless your case is successfully concluded.