Bicycle accidents can be devastating experiences, yet you don’t have to navigate their aftermath alone. The dedicated bicycle accident lawyers in Pottsville at Munley Law understand the unique difficulties you are up against and are dedicated to helping you obtain compensation and justice in a fair and timely manner.
Recovering from any injury should be our top priority, from medical bills and lost wages to pain and suffering. Reach out now for a free consultation so we can start helping get your life back on track.
$32 Million Wrongful Death
$26 Million Truck Accident
$17.5 Million Car Accident
$12 Million Product Liability
$9 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$7.5 Million Auto Accident
$6.9 Million Garbage Truck Accident
$6.5 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
$5 Million Medical Malpractice
$5 Million Bus Accidents
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Pottsville
Bicycle accidents in Pottsville, PA, like in many other areas, can be attributed to a variety of contributing factors. Some of the more prevalent causes of bicycle collisions include:
- Collisions With Motor Vehicles: Vehicle collisions are one of the primary causes of bicycle accidents, often happening when drivers fail to see cyclists at intersections, when turning, or when one enters their blind spot.
- Road Hazards: Potholes, uneven road surfaces, debris, and other hazards present a unique hazard for cyclists compared to cars; their smaller size and less stability make these road conditions particularly hazardous and can easily lead to accidents.
- Dooring: Dooring occurs when an unexpectedly opened car door suddenly comes slamming open into the path of a cyclist, causing them to collide with it and crash into it. It is a frequent urban cycling hazard.
- Poor Visibility: Accidents often result from poor visibility due to weather conditions such as fog or heavy rain, or due to night-time conditions when cyclists become less visible to drivers.
- Reckless Riding: Cyclists who engage in reckless riding include those who ride against traffic, disregard traffic signals, or engage in unexpected movements without prior notification or without taking appropriate precautions to signal them.
- Distracted Driving: Drivers engaged in texting, conversing on the phone, or not fully concentrating on the road can easily overlook a cyclist, potentially resulting in accidents.
- Speeding: Both motorists and cyclists who speed can contribute to accidents by decreasing reaction time and amplifying any impact caused by any collisions that do occur.
- Lack of Cycling Infrastructure: Without dedicated bike lanes or trails, cyclists must share the road with motor vehicles, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Intoxication: Drivers and cyclists under the influence of alcohol or drugs pose a significant threat on our roads.
Understanding Bicycle Laws in Pennsylvania
Navigating the roads of Pennsylvania on a bicycle comes with its own set of rules and regulations designed to keep everyone safe.
In the Keystone State, bicyclists, or “pedalcyclists,” are subject to many of the same rules as motor vehicle drivers, with certain specific bicycle safety regulations outlined by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
- Bicycles can be ridden on the road shoulder or in the rightmost travel lane, with allowances for overtaking vehicles, making left turns, and avoiding obstructions.
- Riding more than two abreast is prohibited unless in a bicycle-only area.
- Traffic signals that don’t detect bicycles can be treated as stop signs.
- Motor vehicles must maintain a 4-foot clearance when overtaking bicycles and may overtake in no-passing zones if necessary.
- Opening vehicle doors into traffic (dooring) is prohibited.
- Bicycles must be equipped with a front lamp, rear and side reflectors, and effective brakes.
- Riding on sidewalks is restricted, especially in business districts or where bike lanes are available.
- Helmets are mandatory for cyclists under 12.
- Riding on freeways is generally prohibited.
- Cyclists must use hand signals for turns and stops, and it’s recommended to wear helmets, follow traffic laws, be visible, and maintain the bicycle properly.
Why Should You Consult a Pottsville Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
After being involved in a bicycle accident in Pottsville, contacting a specialized bicycle accident attorney is essential to protecting your rights and receiving fair compensation for your losses.
Experienced bike accident lawyers know the specific nuances and complexities of Pennsylvania’s traffic laws as they relate to cyclists. They have extensive knowledge in identifying liable parties as well as understanding how local regulations may impact your case. Furthermore, these legal professionals work tirelessly to make sure you’re fairly compensated for damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain & suffering compensation.
Where the accident involves serious injuries or complex insurance company liability issues, their expertise becomes even more crucial. A Pottsville bicycle accident lawyer not only offers legal representation but can provide invaluable peace of mind while they handle all the intricacies of your case for you.
How a Pottsville Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Should a bicycle accident occur in Pottsville, having an experienced bicycle accident lawyer at your side can make all the difference in outcomes.
The Pottsville personal injury lawyers at Munley Law specialize in handling the aftermath of such incidents with professionalism and empathy. Our dedicated team has extensive knowledge of Pennsylvania’s bicycle laws as well as personal injury claims; we carefully investigate each case, collect evidence, and build strong cases to advocate for our client’s rights.
Whether it involves insurance company negotiations or court representation, our aim is to find you the optimal outcome. We strive to alleviate the stress and burden associated with legal proceedings so you can focus on healing and recovery without distraction from legal matters.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident in Pottsville, contact Munley Law Personal Injury Lawyers now for a free consultation so we can put our experience and expertise to work for you – we are here to help you regain the road.