Looking for help after an 18-wheeler truck accident? Call our Scranton office for a free, no-obligation consultation today.
Since 1959, our mission has been to stand up for the rights of people injured in devastating accidents caused by someone else’s negligence, with a special focus on truck and 18-wheeler accidents. We are headquartered in Scranton, and have a critical expertise in this geographic area. A well-established family law firm, our accident lawyers embrace you as part of our family, and work as a team to get you the best possible settlement. We are skilled at winning suits with large transportation and insurance companies.
$32 Million Wrongful Death
$26 Million Truck Accident
$17.5 Million Car Accident
$12 Million Product Liability
$8 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident/Wrongful Death
$7.5 Million Auto Accident
$6.9 Million Garbage Truck Crash
$6.5 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
$5 Million Medical Malpractice
$5 Million Bus Accident
$4.7 Million Truck Accident
Call our 18-wheeler accident attorneys today. We will evaluate your situation to determine if you have a case. If you choose Munley Law accident lawyers to represent you, we take your case on a contingency basis and tirelessly work toward getting you the best possible settlement. That’s right. No upfront costs for you. We pay all out-of-pocket costs and take an agreed upon percentage of what we recover for you.
When you hire the accident attorneys at Munley Law you are in good hands. Marion Munley is the chair-elect of the American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Group, and Dan Munley is the former chair. Our 18-wheeler accident lawyers are regarded as experts in the field of trucking law, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and seminars throughout the United States. You’ll find us listed among the Best Lawyers in America and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers.
Call (855) 866-5529 , chat live, or fill out our contact form today for a free review of your case. We do not charge a fee for our counsel or services unless we win your case.
Hire an attorney experienced with 18-wheeler truck accidents
Truck accidents are entirely different from car accidents. Trucking companies are You need a lawyer who has expertise in federal and state trucking laws and is familiar with the ways the trucking company’s attorneys and insurers work loopholes to their client’s advantage. For instance, there are numerous licensing and documentation requirements, regulations on trucks in terms of size, weight and routing limitations, insurance requirements and driver training. An experienced truck accident lawyer knows how to investigate each of these circumstances, leaving no stone unturned in litigating your case.
The injury lawyers at Munley Law have this experience.
A Scranton 18-wheeler accident attorney at Munley Law works for you
When you are the victim in a truck accident, the best way to protect yourself and your family is to consult with an attorney as quickly as possible. There are many time-sensitive issues that need to be documented and investigated. The lawyer will evaluate your case and advise you of your rights and possible areas of compensation.
When you retain the 18-wheeler accident attorneys at Munley Law, we immediately start working on your case. Why do you need someone to start that quickly? The attorneys for the trucking and insurance companies may hurry to offer you a settlement. While it may be appealing to be speedily compensated, that is not in your best interest. Damages need to be assessed carefully, and the extent of your losses might not be clear right away. Having an experienced attorney on your side is the best way to ensure that the trucking company won’t take advantage of your vulnerable position.
Here’s how a Munley Law 18-wheeler accident attorney will protect your rights
We’ll preserve evidence at the scene of the wreck, secure the scene of the crash, take photos, and interview witnesses. It is critical to the success of your case that evidence isn’t altered, lost or destroyed. The owner of the 18-wheeler, usually a large company, along with their insurer, will visit the scene of the accident and work diligently to build their defense. With Munley Law accident lawyers on your side, you are represented by attorneys who are experienced with trucking industry safety regulations and industry standards, state and federal laws, and the insurance loopholes that may trap less knowledgeable attorneys.
Once we’ve documented the scene of the accident and completed a comprehensive review of your case, Munley Law’s truck accident attorneys will hire expert witnesses, and deal with the trucking company and their lawyers on your behalf. We’ll fight to get access to truck maintenance records, the size and type of load the truck was carrying and other records that are legally required of trucking companies. In addition we’ll acquire the driver’s history and training and the GPS and other technology records that might provide insight into the cause of the accident. We’ll evaluate all the evidence and assess healthcare costs, future expenses, lost wages, long term impact and anything else related to the injuries or losses suffered as a result of the 18-wheeler accident. We’ll ensure you get every dollar you deserve.
Sharing the road with 18-wheelers: Why trucks accidents happen and what you can do to increase your safety
When you drive on the highways in and around Scranton, you will be sharing the road with 18-wheelers and other large commercial vehicles. Accidents can be devastating and deadly, especially to those in passenger cars. The larger and heavier the vehicle, the greater the distance needed to stop and the greater the momentum propelling the truck forward. To put things in perspective, the maximum legal weight for an 18-wheeler is 80,000 pounds, or 40 tons. As a result, when a car and an 18-wheeler are in an accident, it is much more likely for those in the car than in the truck to be badly hurt or suffer fatalities than it is for the driver of the truck. In addition, because cars often carry multiple people, the ratio of victims to accidents is greater than one.
In the Scranton metropolitan area, truck accidents happen for many different reasons, especially during inclement weather. Other causing include, distracted driving, congested roads, mechanical failure and heavy loads. It is critical to stay alert when sharing the road with trucks like 18-wheelers. Here are some tips on how drivers of passenger vehicles can more safely share the road with 18-wheelers and large trucks:
- Avoid distractions. Don’t text. Don’t use your phone. Don’t turn, taking your eyes off the road, to talk to passengers. These steps make you more aware of possible hazardous situations and give you more time to react to dangers on the road.
- Safely pass 18-wheelers on the left, but do not linger as you pass. Large, high trucks have a high center of gravity, larger blind spots and a tendency to sway in windy conditions. Also, in wet, rainy or snowy condition, their spray reduces the passing cars visibility.
- Don’t cut in front of a truck. Quick reactions and breaking can create dangerous situations for the trucker and surrounding cars, at times even causing a truck to jackknife.
- Do not tailgate. You can’t see in front of an 18-wheeler so if there are hazards or quick stops you won’t have adequate time to react.
- 18-wheelers need a lot of room to make a turn. Give them the space they need. Don’t try to pass while they are turning.
Keeping these tips in mind can save you, your family and your friends from injury or worse. However, if you do find yourself involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, contact a truck accident lawyer at Munley Law for a free review of your case. Call, chat live, or fill out our contact form today. Our accident attorneys do not charge a fee for our counsel or services unless we win your case.
Frequently Asked Questions in 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Cases
Q: What can I do to protect myself after an 18-wheeler accident in Scranton?
A: The first thing you must do to protect yourself is to find an experienced Scranton truck accident lawyer. Major trucking companies will have expensive resources, which includes teams of lawyers and experts prepared to fight against any lawsuit. This is true regardless of how severe your injuries are. If you have been hit by a truck in Scranton, contact an experienced truck accident attorney at Munley Law who will defend your rights and ensure you are fairly compensated.
Q: What should I do immediately after a Scranton 18-wheeler crash?
A: Whether you’re in Scranton or anywhere else, there are certain steps you must take while still at the scene of a truck accident:
- Remain calm and in your vehicle (unless you need to get out for safety reasons)
- Call 911 (even if you think your accident is minor)
- Seek medical attention for anyone on the scene who has injuries of any kind
- Do not move the vehicles until the police arrive (unless absolutely necessary)
- Do not leave the scene
- Record all the the names, addresses and phone numbers of any parties involved, particularly any witnesses
- Write down the names and badge numbers of any police officers investigating the accident
- Photograph the scene, including vehicles and injuries
- Do not admit fault
- Immediately notify your own insurance company
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone except the police or your own insurance agent or representative; you are not required to give a statement to anyone but the police and your insurance company.
Q: What should do after a Scranton semi-truck accident?
- Do not sign anything before contacting a lawyer. Insurance companies might try and have you sign something, but they do not represent your interests.
- Thoroughly document your injuries. Take photographs in the hospital and when you get home.
- Keep track of all expenses. This includes prescription receipts, mileage for trips to doctors’ offices, physical therapy appointments, and also home care expenses.
- Keep scheduled appointments and follow treatment plans. This shows your active participation in the healing and rehab process.
Q: What should I do in the days following a truck accident?
A: Here is what you need to do after a big rig accident:
- Get a copy of the accident report prepared by the police, as well as a property damage valuation from your insurance company.
- Record all visits with doctors and any healthcare providers. Write down any symptoms or pain you experience. Make sure you copies of all test results, medications, treatments, and any other medical information
- List all out-of-pocket expenses
- Keep a record of missed work or other activities in which you could not participate due to your injuries
- Don’t accept a settlement offer until you have consulted with a lawyer
Q: Who is at-fault in a Scranton 18-wheeler truck accident case?
A: A whole host of parties could be liable in a truck accident. Such as: the truck driver, trucking company, owner of the truck/trailer, third party manufacturers, the facility responsible for loading the truck, or even the group responsible for the contents of the trailer. Every truck accident case in Scranton is unique, so the best way to determine the course of action you should take is to speak with a lawyer. That is why as the top Scranton truck accident lawyers, we offer free consultations to our potential clients.
Q: How long do I have to file a lawsuit after a truck accident?
A: For Scranton truck crash cases, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. But, don’t wait two years. Contact an attorney as soon as possible following an accident. It’s harder to investigate the details of your case as more and more time passes. Important evidence could be lost or destroyed. Plus, the trucking company will have its own team of investigators and experts on the scene of the crash in order to build their defense immediately.
Q: How much will it cost to hire an Scranton truck accident attorney?
A: All Munley Law lawyers work on a contingent-fee basis. What does this mean? . We do not collect a fee unless we win your case. You will owe us nothing up front or out of your own pocket; we will not get paid until you get paid.
Q: Does my truck accident lawyer in Scranton have enough experience?
Trucking accidents are different from car accidents — instead of dealing with an individual, you may have to go head-to-head with a company to get what you deserve. It’s so critical you have a Scranton truck accident lawyer with not just experience, but a winning record against these large companies.
At Munley Law, our truck accident lawyers are ranked as the top in the nation. We have been battling truck companies for our clients for more than 50 years and we’re ready to help you. Call us today.