Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me?
Semi truck accidents can be devastating to motorists in passenger vehicles. Nearly 70 percent of all fatal truck accidents result in fatal injuries sustained by the driver of the passenger vehicle not the truck drivers. Truck accident injuries are far more serious that passenger vehicle accidents and some of the most severe accident injuries happen to the passenger vehicle driver.
If you were in a car accident that involved a semi truck you may have serious injuries, even traumatic brain injuries, serious spinal cord injuries or other severe injuries, mounting medical bills and a long recovery ahead. You might be considering a personal injury lawsuit to help you seek compensation for your medical bills for your accident injuries, lost wages, non economic damages such as pain and suffering and economic damages such as property damage resulting from your trucking accident.
To get proper compensation for your injuries you will need an experienced truck accident lawyer to fight on your behalf. But how do you go about finding the right truck accident lawyer? And what should you look for in a trucking accident attorney?
How Do I Find the Right Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me?
Finding the right truck accident lawyer is going to be one of the most important decisions you make after your accident. After seeking medical treatment and filing your police reports one of your first calls should be to a legal team who can help you receive a fair settlement. You deserve maximum compensation for your suffering. Be diligent in finding the right legal representation for your case.
Here are some tips on how to hire a good personal injury lawyer in your area.
What to Prepare For the Consultation
A truck accident lawyer’s online footprint will be critical before you walk into the initial consultation for your truck accident. From the firm’s website to legal directories and memberships, you’ll be able to find out about the firm’s team, client reviews, and what other professionals in that practice of law say about them.
There is additional information you’ll want to seek out before your first free consultation with a truck accident lawyer.
See What Other Lawyers Say
We look to peer reviews when it comes to science and medicine, even arts and literature, so why wouldn’t you do the same when it comes to finding the best truck accident lawyer near you?
Knowing where to look for these peer reviews can be confusing, but there are reputable websites where you can start to narrow down your search:
- Martindale-Hubblell is not only great for client reviews, but also for peer reviews from other legal professionals. Other reputable sources for truck accident victims are:
- One of the most highly recognized legal directories in the United States, each year Best Lawyers in America announces the Best Lawyers list, which includes legal professionals from approximately 60 practice areas, all chosen by peers in the field.
- Only a small percentage of practicing lawyers in each state are awarded a Super Lawyers designation. Super Lawyers are peer nominated, and decided upon by independent research.
Seek Personal and Professional Referrals
Online reviews can tell you quite a lot about a truck accident lawyer near me. You’ll also want to connect with friends, family, and colleagues who have experience working with truck accident lawyers.
If you have ever worked with another attorney before for another matter such as family law, tax law, business law, etc. ask if they have recommendations for personal injury or truck accident lawyers in your area. Professional referrals can be among the most valuable.
Read the Reviews
From Google to legal directories such as Martindale.com, you can get a fuller range of client reviews for truck accident lawyers. While a law firm will likely post good reviews on their websites, you won’t find the negative ones, so be sure to keep an eye out for those on these other platforms.
Websites like Martindale or Avvo will provide you recommendation ratings, reviews, and even individual reviews of the practicing attorneys in the firm, so you know who you are most likely to engage with in your truck accident case.
Consider Legal Accolades
When you are considering a truck accident lawyer, you will also want to take a look at any of the legal accolades they have received for their work in the personal injury field. There are local and national accolades that are more meaningful than others. When researching truck accident attorneys, the accolades you’ll want to pay particular attention to are:
- Lawyer of the Year
- Law Firm of the Year
These designations are provided by Best Lawyers as well as other highly regarded awards from the National Law Journal and the American Bar Association (ABA).
What Should I Ask In the First Meeting With a Truck Accident Attorney?
You’ve made it through the research stage, now you’re ready to set up that initial meeting to go over your claim, get to know the firm, and decide if you want to move forward with this particular attorney.
It is important to remember that as much as you are interviewing them, they are interviewing you to see if they will be interested in taking your case. A good law firm will make sure you know where you stand after that initial meeting.
Questions an attorney should be able to answer for you during your free initial consultation include:
- Who will be working on my case? Most personal injury law firms are made up of multiple personal injury attorneys, paralegals, secretaries, etc. When you are paying money to work with a reputable truck accident lawyer, you want to be assured that they will be giving your truck accident claim a lot of personal attention.
- How frequently will you be in touch? You might have a specific question and you are awaiting a reply from your truck accident lawyers, or maybe there has been a major advance with your truck accident claim. You want to be kept informed and updated as much as possible about your questions, concerns and standing of your truck accident lawsuit or insurance company claim settlement.
You want an attorney who will stay connected and keep you informed.
- What is your experience in truck accident law? This is an opportunity for any experienced truck accident lawyer to tell you about their past successes, how often they take on these cases and how experienced they are handling truck accident claims.
Don’t be afraid to ask follow up questions.
- How many clients do you take on at once? It’s not uncommon for a lawyer to have more than one client at a time, however, your hope is that it’s not so many that your attorney will not be able to take the time to dedicate to you.
- What will you do if my truck accident case can’t be settled? Most personal injury cases are settled outside of court. In the case that it cannot be settled, you want to be assured that your lawyer has the skills and tenacity to represent you in the courtroom until a successful verdict is reached.
What Will a Truck Accident Attorney Do for My Claim?
If you’re thinking about hiring an accident lawyer for a personal injury to recover medical expenses or other losses or if you have lost a loved one to catastrophic injuries resulting from a truck crash and are considering a wrongful death suit, you may be wondering “what exactly is my lawyer going to do for me?”
A truck accident lawyer and their team will handle all parts of your claim, from start to finish. This requires an investigation, interviewing experts, and utilizing their skills to develop your case after the suit is filed. The best truck accident lawyers will handle your claim from the beginning until the very end, including:
- Collecting Evidence at the Scene: It’s important your accident scene is investigated immediately. The truck company will be investigating to gather evidence, and unless someone on your side is there, that evidence could disappear. At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our team looks to document things like skid marks, debris, fluid stains, traffic camera footage and more.
- Finding Expert Witnesses: At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, we have relationships with trucking industry experts and investigators, who can bolster your case and help us with our trial strategy. Witnesses can include anyone from engineers, accident reconstructionists to recreate the scene for all vehicles involved, medical professionals and doctors to validate the extent of your truck accident injuries, economists, and more.
- Applying Their Experience in Trucking Accident Law: When choosing a truck accident attorney, experience counts. Federal and state laws can be complex, including limiting hours of service, mandating maintenance and inspections, and enforcing other safety protocols. You will want someone on your side who understands these laws, which are always changing.
Why Choose a Truck Accident Lawyer at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys?
Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys has more than 60 years of experience handling car accident cases. We know how your insurance company works. We know how the trucking company works. We know how to negotiate for maximum compensation for the victims of traffic accidents. We will hold the liable parties responsible so you can focus on your recovery.
We can explain during our free case evaluation how we will work on settlement negotiations with the insurance adjusters at the at fault party’s insurance company. If a settlement cannot be reached, we are more than prepared with our expertise to prove liability in a court of law. When you are hiring a truck accident lawyer, experience matters.
At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, we only charge our truck accident clients on a contingency fee basis. That means you only pay us if we win your case through a settlement or winning verdict.
It’s important to us that everyone have equal access to representation and the justice system. We want all of our clients to have access to the best lawyers who can go toe to toe with the high-powered legal teams these insurance companies and trucking companies can hire.
Nothing is more devastating than getting into a wreck with a tractor trailer. Your injuries may be life-threatening, and medical costs can amount to tens of thousands of dollars. Your insurance may not cover all of your expenses, and you may have difficulties just trying to get back to your life. We are here to help.
Ready to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer Near You? Call Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys.
If you are wondering “how to hire a truck accident lawyer near me” or “what to ask a truck accident lawyer” know that the truck accident lawyers at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys have the answers.
We understand how difficult life can be after a devastating truck accident. If for any reason your injuries prevent you from coming to us, a Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys truck accident attorney can meet you wherever you are.
We want to do whatever we can to make sure you get the justice and financial compensation you deserve to recover from your accident.
Choose carefully, there is a difference in truck accident law firms. For a no-obligation, free consultation, call Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys or connect with us online.