Overloaded or improperly loaded trucks can cause devastating truck accidents
When a truck’s load exceeds state and federal weight limits, the driver and all other motorists on the road face the risk of an accident. Weigh stations exist along our nation’s highways so that truckers may stop and make sure that their trucks do not exceed posted weight limits. However, not all truck drivers adhere to weight restrictions. When truck drivers or companies violate safety regulations, other drivers pay the price. That’s where the truck accident lawyers at Munley Law can help.
If you have been in a car accident with a truck, an experienced truck accident lawyer can determine if a serious violation like overloading contributed to the crash. If an overloaded truck caused your car crash, you may be able to sue for damages.
Our truck accident lawyers have decades of experience investigating truck accidents and obtaining millions of dollars in compensation for injured victims. Since 1959, our Truck Accident Team at Munley Law has helped victims and their families after a serious truck accident. Our record of success speaks for itself.
$32,000,000 Wrongful Death
$26,000,000 Truck Accident
$17,500,000 Car Accident
$12,000,000 Product liability
$8,000,000 Truck Accident
$8,000,000 Truck Accident/Wrongful Death
$7,500,000 Auto Accident
$6,900,000 Garbage Truck Crash
$6,500,000 Traumatic Brain Injury
$5,000,000 Medical Malpractice
$5,000,000 Bus Accident
$4,700,000 Truck Accident
We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a truck accident can take, so we offer free, confidential consultations. Chat live, email us, or call (855) 866-5529 for a free case evaluation today.
Why Do Overweight or Improperly Loaded Trucks Cause Accidents?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) imposes requirements for truck loading for good reason: When a truck’s cargo is overweight or improperly loaded, the truck cannot perform the way that it should and the driver is more likely to lose control.
Excess weight and unsecured cargo create problems for mechanical systems and exacerbate already dangerous conditions, such as:
- Driving on Steep Grades: An overloaded truck has an increased mass and therefore can excessively speed up when driving downhill. Even without the added problems associated with improper cargo loading, steep grades pose dangers for inexperienced, inebriated, and distracted drivers. Trucks traveling at heightened speeds on hills with downward inclines are more difficult to control and bring to a complete stop. If the truck driver is forced to slam on the brakes to avoid a crash, the trailer may jackknife.
- Navigating Turns and Curves: Excessive cargo or improperly distributed weight can also make the truck more likely to tip over when negotiating a tight turn or curve. Unsecured cargo can fall to the turning side and create dangerous weight imbalances An overloaded truck is more likely to have unsecured cargo that may fall, causing a crash. Overweight and improperly loaded trucks are more likely overall to suffer problems such as a tire blowout, loss of steering control, and rollovers.
- Wearing Out Brakes: Oversized loads create more breaking friction and therefore more quickly wear out a truck’s brakes.
- Amplifying the Risk of Tire Blowouts: When unsecured and overburdened truck loads move around, a truck’s weight shifts and becomes unstable. This can put pressure on a tractor-trailer’s tires at levels that they were not designed or approved to bear and subsequently cause those tires to blow out.
- Operating in Inclement Weather: Rain, snow, ice, sleet, hail, and high wind speeds create dangerous driving conditions for all motor-vehicle operators. Because trucks are more difficult to turn, slow down, speed-up, and stop than other cars. Overloading cargo only amplifies the difficulty of these maneuvers.
Each of these problems makes it more likely that a truck will lose control and hit another motor-vehicle or roadside property. When those collisions occur, overweight and unsecured cargo is more likely to spill out onto the road or highway, increasing the likelihood of injuries and other crashes.
How Can Truck Drivers Avoid the Risks Associated with Improper Cargo Loading?
In order to avoid the catastrophic and sometimes fatal consequences of accidents caused by improper cargo loading, truckers should take the following precautions:
- Comply with all FMCSA regulations regarding the inspection of cargo
- Adhere to All FMCSA regulations regarding cargo securing devices
- Never exceed the maximum cargo weight limits
- Use truck weighing stations in order to maintain an up-to-date understanding of a truck’s load weight
- Take extra precautions when driving on inclines and during inclement weather
- Regularly perform all required inspections and maintenance of brakes, engines, tires, and other systems as required by the FMCSA and state law
Can an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer at Munley Law Help You?
If you or someone you love suffered a serious injury in a truck accident, you may need help getting the compensation you need. As the victim of a negligent act, you may recover damages for: medical bills, therapy, time missed from work, future expenses, and pain and suffering. In order to prove that negligence contributed to your accident, you’ll need a lawyer familiar with trucking laws and regulations.
The overloaded truck accident lawyers at Munley Law have established a special focus on these unique types of cases. We have decades of experience winning cases against major transportation companies. Our trucking accident attorneys are dedicated experts in aggressively pursuing the justice and compensation that our clients deserve. And, we do not collect a fee unless we win your case. You will not owe us anything up front, or out of pocket.
When choosing a truck crash lawyer to protect you and your family, consider the following tractor trailer accident settlements and verdicts:
If you were hurt or lost a loved one in an accident with an overloaded truck, don’t wait much longer. Contact an overloaded truck accident lawyer at Munley Law now for a free consultation.
Read what our clients are saying about us:
“I’m so beyond thankful for my lawyers who have never steered me wrong and were ready to go to war for myself and my children. It has been an amazing experience working with them and I’m so thankful for them. As no amount of money will ever change what happened they made sure we were forever taken care of.” – Katy S., A Truck Accident Client