Call Now 24/7 - Free Consultation! 855-866-5529

Can You Sue Someone for a Minor Car Accident?

Get a FREE Consultation

What to Do If You’re In a Minor Car Accident

Inspecting a car accident

Maybe it’s a small fender-bender in the grocery store parking lot. Or perhaps a driver misjudged the lane shift and tapped into your car. Sometimes these minor car accidents happen, resulting in minimal damage to your vehicle. While it may just be an inconvenience without injury, you may wonder, can you sue someone for a minor car accident?

The answer is yes — anytime you are involved in a car accident, you have a right to file a claim with your insurance or file a lawsuit against the other driver to recover compensation. The real question is, will your case be successful for a minor car accident?

Every accident can involve both non economic damages and economic damages. So, in some cases, a personal injury claim is appropriate to recover pain and suffering damages. Each car accident case is unique. For the best legal advice, car accident victims should contact an experienced car accident attorney. The personal injury and car accident lawyers of Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys are here to help.

When You Can Sue A Driver For a Minor Car Accident: Small Claims Court

Many drivers are not aware, but not all accidents in Pennsylvania need to be reported. Under Pennsylvania law, car accidents must be reported within five days of the collision, if the accident resulted in:

  • Injury
  • Death
  • Vehicle damage that inhibits the driver from leaving the scene of the accident

While not all accidents have to undergo a formal filing, it is often in your best interest to report the accident. Be sure to keep a copy of a police report if you receive one. When you do report the accident, you allow yourself the opportunity to file a car accident claim with your insurance company or file a lawsuit against the other driver.

In Pennsylvania, if you are seeking damages for $12,000 or less, you can make a claim against the other driver in small claims court. However, it will be important that you can show that:

  • The at fault driver had a responsibility to operate their vehicle safely
  • The at fault driver did not drive safely
  • Their negligence caused an accident
  • Because of the accident, you suffered harm (physical, financial, or both)

Often to prove some of the details above, it’s imperative to have a thorough police report. Some Pennsylvanians who enter a case in small claims court choose to represent themselves, however, small claims court may not be the best place for your case depending on the suffering claim or injuries or damages incurred. It’s best to speak with a car accident lawyer before moving forward. Contact us today for a free legal consultation call.

Reasons to Sue After a Minor Car Accident

Teenager that had a car accident speaking on the phone with his lawyerWe may not automatically think a minor car accident like a fender-bender is reason enough to lawyer up and seek damages against another driver. However, you may be surprised to learn of the reasons why you would want to seek legal action in a personal injury suit following a minor car accident.

Financial Loss

Following a minor accident, you may have suffered what only seemed like property damage to your car. However, while those costs may have been simple enough to have picked up by your insurance company, days or even weeks later, you may realize you’ve become injured.

That’s why no matter what, you’ll want to seek medical attention. It’s important to understand the cost of any medical bills you receive. You may have physical ailments that appear, or even need compensation for pain and suffering.

Insurance Fails to Adequately Provide

If you have filed a claim with your own insurance company and perhaps against the negligent parties, you likely hoped it would cover your losses and you could move on.

That includes medical bills, property damage, and other financial losses from the accident. However, when those claims do not end in a fair settlement, you may need to seek legal representation.

Oftentimes, just bringing up a lawsuit is enough for the insurance adjuster to offer a more fair agreement.

Suffered Injuries

If at the time of the accident you suffer minor injuries like scrapes or bruising, you likely have already begun seeking medical treatment. However, even if your injuries aren’t immediately apparent, you should still seek medical attention.

You need to keep a log of all medical expenses amassed as you may be able to recover compensation for the following:

●      Medical care including prescriptions, rehabilitation, etc.

●      Lost wages

●      Mental anguish

●      Pain and suffering

An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you navigate proving a pain and suffering claim. Physical injuries, bodily injuries or other serious injury should not be ignored. While the average settlement can differ based on the facts of the case, and how much money you are owed varies, a skilled attorney can help you recover money you are owed.

The claims process is complicated and insurance companies and insurance providers do everything they can not to offer substantial compensation to car accident victims. This includes economic and non economic damages.

The personal injury lawyers at our law firm are ready to help you today with a free consultation.

When The Other Driver Is Not Completely At Fault

Remember, while the other driver may have seemingly caused the accident, it may not be completely their fault. For example, you may be able to seek compensation from a government agency should the accident be a result of poor road conditions that an agency had a duty to maintain.

Further, the other driver’s vehicle may have had a mechanical error as a result of a manufacturing flaw. In those cases, you may be able to seek compensation from the manufacturer.

Entrance to Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys officeHire An Experienced Car Accident Lawyer

Getting into an accident, no matter how minor, can be a jarring and stressful experience. If you are worried and asking “Can you sue someone for a minor car accident?” contact the car accident attorneys of Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys.

Our team of passionate lawyer will review the facts of your unique case and determine what is most likely to create a successful outcome to recover compensation. Remember, just because it’s a minor accident does not mean that you do not have a right to seek compensation in car accident cases. When you’ve lost, we want to help you recover. That includes everything from property damage to medical bills and more.

Call today at (570) 473-5609 or use our online form to schedule your free consultation or free case evaluation.

PA Bar Association
top 100
Super Lawyers
Best law firms
best lawyers
top 1% of trial lawyers
Irish Legal
BBB Accreditation Badge Munley Law Review Us
Back to Top