Ridesharing services like Uber have revolutionized the way we commute. With just a tap on our smartphones, we can summon a ride to our doorstep, making transportation more convenient than ever. However, as with any vehicle on the road, Ubers are not immune to accidents. When you’re in an Uber that gets into an accident in Philadelphia, the situation can become complex, given the unique nature of ridesharing services.
Understanding Uber’s Insurance Policy
Uber, being one of the leading ridesharing platforms, has put in place a comprehensive insurance policy to protect its drivers, passengers, and even third parties in the event of an accident. However, the coverage varies depending on the driver’s status at the time of the accident:
- When the App is Off: If the Uber driver is not logged into the app, their personal auto insurance will be the primary coverage.
- Waiting for a Ride Request: Once the driver logs into the app and is waiting for a ride request, Uber provides liability coverage if the driver’s personal auto insurance doesn’t apply. This typically includes up to $50,000 in bodily injury per person, $100,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 in property damage per accident.
- A Passenger in the Car: From the moment a driver accepts a ride request to the time the passenger is dropped off, Uber’s insurance is at its peak. It provides up to $1 million in third-party liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury, and contingent comprehensive and collision insurance.
It’s essential to understand these distinctions because they can significantly impact the compensation you might receive if involved in an accident. If you’re ever in doubt, consulting with a legal expert like Munley Law can provide clarity on how these policies apply to your specific situation.
Steps to Take Immediately After an Uber Accident
Accidents are unexpected and can be disorienting, especially when you’re a passenger in a rideshare vehicle. Knowing the right steps to take can make a significant difference in ensuring your safety and protecting your rights. If you are in an Uber accident, you should take these steps:
- Ensure Safety First: Before anything else, check if you or anyone else in the vehicle has sustained injuries. If it’s safe to do so, move to a secure location away from the flow of traffic.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine, it’s crucial to get a medical check-up. Some injuries, like whiplash or internal injuries, may not manifest symptoms immediately but can have long-term consequences.
- Report the Accident: Call the local authorities to report the accident. A police report can be invaluable when filing insurance claims or pursuing legal action.
- Document the Scene: Use your smartphone to take pictures of the accident scene, including vehicle damages, license plates, road conditions, and any visible injuries. If there are witnesses, gather their contact information.
- Notify Uber: Report the accident through the Uber app. This step is crucial as it triggers Uber’s awareness of the incident and initiates their insurance process.
Know Your Rights as an Uber Passenger
As a passenger in an Uber vehicle, you have rights that protect you in the event of an accident. Some of your most important rights as an Uber passenger include:
- Right to Compensation: Uber’s $1 million liability insurance ensures that passengers are covered for injuries and damages sustained during the ride. This coverage is in addition to any insurance the driver or third party might have.
- Right to Legal Representation: If you face challenges getting the compensation you deserve, you have the right to seek legal representation. An experienced attorney – like the attorneys at Munley Law – can navigate the complexities of rideshare accidents and advocate on your behalf.
- Right to Information: You have the right to access information about the accident, including the driver’s details, insurance information, and the accident report.
At Munley Law, we understand the intricacies of rideshare accidents and are committed to ensuring that passengers get the justice they deserve. Our team is equipped to guide you through the process, ensuring that your rights are protected every step of the way.
Call us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
What If I’m the Uber Driver? What Are My Rights in an Accident?
Driving for Uber offers flexibility and the opportunity to earn money, but it also comes with its challenges, especially when involved in an accident. As an Uber driver, it’s essential to understand your rights. You have the:
- Right to Insurance Coverage: Depending on the phase of your Uber activity at the time of the accident, you are covered by Uber’s insurance policy. Whether you’re waiting for a ride request or have a passenger in your vehicle, Uber provides varying levels of coverage to protect you.
- Right to File a Claim: If the accident occurs while you’re actively transporting a passenger or on your way to pick one up, you can file a claim under Uber’s $1 million liability policy. If, instead, you’re waiting for a ride request, you might first need to file a claim with your personal insurance. If it’s denied or doesn’t cover all the damages, Uber’s contingent liability coverage can step in.
- Right to Legal Counsel: If you face disputes with Uber’s insurance provider or encounter challenges with third-party claims, you have the right to seek legal representation. An attorney can help ensure you receive fair compensation and guide you through the legal intricacies.
Third-Party Involvement in Uber Accidents
In an accident involving an Uber vehicle, multiple parties could be held liable, including the Uber driver, another motorist, or even Uber as a company. Determining fault is crucial in understanding who to claim against.
Third parties can file a claim against Uber’s $1 million liability insurance if the Uber driver is at fault and was either en route to pick up a passenger or had a passenger in the car. If the Uber driver was waiting for a ride request, the claim might first be directed to the driver’s personal insurance.
Given the complexities of rideshare accidents, third parties are advised to consult with legal experts, like the experienced attorneys at Munley Law. This ensures that they navigate the claims process effectively and receive the compensation they deserve.
At Munley Law, we have extensive experience handling cases involving third-party claims in Uber accidents. Our dedicated team works diligently to ensure that all parties affected receive fair representation and justice.
Common Injuries in Uber Accidents
Rideshare accidents, like any other vehicular accidents, can result in a range of injuries. Some of these injuries might seem minor initially but can develop into more severe conditions over time. Here are some common injuries passengers and drivers might sustain in an Uber accident:
- Whiplash: A sudden jolt or jerk can cause the neck to move violently, leading to whiplash. Symptoms might include neck pain, stiffness, and headaches.
- Broken Bones: The impact of a collision can result in fractures or broken bones, ranging from simple breaks to more complex fractures that require surgical intervention.
- Concussions and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): A sudden blow to the head or violent shaking can lead to concussions or more severe forms of TBI. Symptoms might range from mild dizziness and confusion to severe cognitive and motor function impairments.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can result in partial or complete paralysis, affecting mobility and sensation.
- Cuts and Abrasions: Broken glass or metal can cause cuts, while the force of the accident can lead to abrasions or bruises.
- Internal Injuries: Not all injuries are visible. Internal bleeding or damage to organs might not manifest immediately but can be life-threatening.
It’s imperative to seek medical attention immediately after an accident, even if you feel fine. Early diagnosis and treatment can prevent complications and aid in a smoother recovery.
How Munley Law Can Help
When involved in an Uber accident, the legal landscape can seem daunting. That’s where Munley Law steps in. Our commitment to justice and our expertise in rideshare accidents set us apart.
Our team is well-versed with the intricacies of rideshare accidents. We guide you through the process, ensuring you’re informed at every step. We negotiate with the insurance company for you, ensuring your rights are protected and you receive the compensation you deserve. We also delve deep into the accident, gathering evidence, consulting with experts, and building a robust case on your behalf.
Our commitment is to you. We bear the upfront costs of litigation, and you only pay us if we win your case. This ensures you get the best representation without any financial burden.
With years of experience, we’ve built a reputation for excellence. Our track record speaks for itself, with numerous multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts. At Munley Law, we believe in making things right. Our dedicated team stands by your side, fighting for your rights and ensuring you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Uber Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in an Uber accident, don’t navigate this challenging time alone. Let the experienced team at Munley Law guide you. Contact us today for a FREE, no-obligation consultation.
Philadelphia Practice Areas
Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys
1617 John F Kennedy Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19103