Free Motorcycle Safety Courses for Pennsylvania Riders
Spring will be here before we know it. That’s why PennDOT wants motorcycle riders to brush up on safety before the season starts.
Whether you’re a newly licensed rider, an experienced biker, or getting back on the bike for the first time in a while, the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program (PAMSP) offers courses for riders of all skill levels. The PAMSP offers free training for PA residents with a motorcycle license or learner’s permit. Learner’s permit holders who successfully complete the necessary safety course will be issued a motorcycle license.
Riders in Northeast PA can find courses in Dunmore, Nanticoke, and Lake Ariel. To find one near you, click here.
Motorcycle Safety Tips
As with driving a car, there are certain basic safety rules that all bikers should know. Exposed to the elements and less visible than larger vehicles on the road, bikers need to be extra careful. Maximize your chances of avoiding a crash by keeping these things in mind:
- Wear a helmet – While motorcycle helmet laws vary from state to state, there’s no question that helmets save lives.
- Wear appropriate clothing – Any experienced rider knows better than to ride around in a t-shirt and flip-flops. Durable shoes and clothing will protect you from the wind, debris, and road rash.
- Keep a safe distance – Motorcycle riders have to drive defensively. You never know when a car will stop suddenly or pull out into traffic, so it’s best to keep a safe following distance.
- Maintain a safe speed – Speed plays a role in almost half of fatal crashes, so simply reducing your speed can increase your chances of getting home alive.
- Sharpen your skills – Enroll in a safety course like the ones PAMSP offers for free. As a new rider, you’ll be prepared to ride with confidence. As a seasoned biker, you can stay sharp and set a good example for young motorcyclists.
If you or someone you love gets hurt in a motorcycle accident, we’re here to help. We offer free consultations, and we never collect a fee unless we win your case.
Share this post:
Posted in Car Accidents.
Tagged Motorcycle Accidents Safety Tips