Drunk Driving Accident Attorney in Stroudsburg
What to do if you or a loved one is a victim of a drunk driving accident in Stroudsburg
When someone chooses to get behind the wheel after drinking, they also choose to risk the lives of everyone around them. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident with a drunk driver, the law is on your side. At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our Stroudsburg drunk driving accident lawyers stand up for the rights of people injured or killed in car accidents caused by impaired drivers. We have the resources, knowledge, compassion, and tenacity to get you the compensation that you and your family deserve at this stressful time.
$32 Million Wrongful Death
$26 Million Truck Accident
$17.5 Million Car Accident
$12 Million Product Liability
$9 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$7.5 Million Auto Accident
$6.9 Million Garbage Truck Accident
$6.5 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
$5 Million Medical Malpractice
$5 Million Bus Accidents
What Are the Statistics of Drunk Driving?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 32 people die in drunk driving accidents each day; that means one person every forty-five minutes. Another staggering statistic that puts into perspective the frequency of drunk driving accidents is one-third of all car accidents are attributed to drunk driving.
- Drunk driving is more common among men. Of the fatal crashes that occurred in 2020, 22% were male drivers impaired by alcohol at the time of the crash, whereas 16% were female drivers impaired by alcohol.
- About a quarter of all fatal vehicle crashes are due to underage drinking, making it a leading cause of teen deaths.
- Among drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2020, 26% of the drivers were impaired and between the ages of 21–24 years old; another 26% of the drivers were impaired and between the ages of 25–34 years old.
What motor vehicle is more frequently involved in drunk driving accidents?
Motorcyclists have a higher DUI incidence rate; 27% of motorcyclists were impaired and involved in fatal accidents in 2020, compared to 23% of impaired passenger car drivers (www.cdc.gov, 2022).
I got hit by a drunk driver in Stroudsburg, what does an injury lawyer suggest I do?
- Do NOT give a recorded statement
- Report the accident to authorities and emergency services
- Seek medical treatment (Always! Even if you feel OK – you need documentation to make sure that you are not overlooking anything)
- Gather evidence! If you can, take pictures of the scene and injuries with your phone. Document what you can.
- Exchange information insurance information and registration as needed. If there are eyewitnesses take their names and phone numbers if you can.
- Call a drunk driving accident lawyer. These matters are complicated and there may be multiple parties involved. Do not discuss anything with anyone, make statements with investigators or insurers other than your contact information, insurance information, and concrete information that they may need for processing. Our drunk driving accident attorneys at Munley Law can help you to navigate your options — give us a call for a free, no strings attached consultation.
- Keep track of your recovery by keeping a running journal.
How Do I Choose a Reputable Stroudsburg Drunk Driving Injury Lawyer?
Research the internet and seek out others’ commentaries regarding their experience with their Stroudsburg injury lawyer. Once you have some firms that you wish to learn more about, consider the questions you may ask to determine their experience and success rate.
- Does the firm have experience representing drunk-driving crash victims?
- Does the law firm have experience negotiating and litigating fatal car accidents?
- Does the law firm have the time and resources needed to represent my personal injury case?
- How does the law firm assist (if at all) or structure my payments, and what does that look like?
- Is the firm respected and regarded by its peers and clients? Do they have blogs or literature that they have contributed to online?
Who is my best choice for a Stroudsburg drunk driving accident attorney?
Since 1959, our drunk driving accident attorneys at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys have been helping individuals and families hold negligent drivers accountable for their impaired and reckless behaviors. We have established a reputation as industry experts in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.
Why Munley Law Should Be Your Stroudsburg Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
- We have been named among the Best Lawyers in America
- We have been listed in U.S. News and World Report’s Best Law Firms
- We have earned the best possible ratings from our clients and our peers
- See some of our recent settlements and verdicts
- Read our client testimonials
When you work with us, we deploy a team of experienced legal professionals, medical experts, and investigators dedicated to your case. Our attorneys will fight on your behalf to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you need. There is no fee unless we win, and you do not have to pay anything upfront or out of pocket.
I Was Injured by a Drunk Driver in Stroudsburg, What Am I Entitled to?
Firstly, you must be able to establish fault and have proper documentation of incidents, reports, and medical records. You may be entitled to a lawsuit for the driver’s negligence, including reciprocation for actual and punitive damages.
What are actual damages that can be recovered by a drunk driving accident attorney?
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Funeral and burial costs
Families of deceased victims can also pursue wrongful death lawsuits against the driver, or a lawsuit against a server who continued to serve alcohol to someone underage, or had too much to drink; the establishment may be liable, too. Drunk driving cases are multi-layered and often have multiple parties involved; contacting a drunk driving accident lawyer is in your best interest.
What are punitive damages awarded in a drunk driving accident?
Punitive damages may be awarded when someone’s negligence involves reckless and irresponsible behavior and causes an injury. These cases are reviewed on a case-to-case basis and are intended to punish the at-fault party for their negligent behaviors.
I was hit by a drunk driver in Stroudsburg without insurance, what do I do?
You may be able to use your insurance. In Pennsylvania, by law, insurance companies must offer underinsured motorist coverage with a minimum of $15,000 per person, and $30,000 per incident; consult your insurance provider to confirm what you opted for.
- If you hold underinsured motorist coverage, you may be able to use your policy (in addition to your auto insurance coverage) to seek compensation against the at-fault party
- If the at-fault party does have insurance, and if their insurance does not cover you or damages that are more than your insurance, hiring an attorney is in your best interest.
Insurance and claims will require documentation of the accident report, injuries, medical treatments, vehicle damages, and any receipts that involved care and monies associated with the accident; this can include proof of loss of wages. The documentation will permit an investigation and assessment of what your claim is worth.
Do not accept settlements for drunk driving accidents prematurely
Insurance companies are known for offering minimal amounts, and to be very conservative when paying out claims. An experienced drunk driving accident attorney is well-versed and experienced with insurance law and negotiations. If you are looking to be compensated for damages for injuries, a Stroudsburg drunk driving accident attorney can help to make certain that you are not being low-balled, and that you get what you are entitled to.
What Is Considered Drunk Driving in Stroudsburg?
A driver is driving impaired if their blood alcohol content (BAC) is equal to or greater than an indicated value. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) cites what qualifies as driving under the influence (DUI).
- If an individual has a BAC equal to or greater than .08%
- If a commercial vehicle driver has a BAC equal to or greater than .04% within 2 hours of driving
- If there is supporting evidence of impairment, individuals may be convicted if their BAC is equal to or greater than .05%
- If individuals are under 21 years old and their BAC is equal to or greater than .02% (the Zero Tolerance Law)
How Can a Drunk Driving Accident Attorney in Stroudsburg Help Me?
If you or your loved one have fallen victim to the negligence of a drunk driver, the emotional and physical trauma of this accident is overwhelming. Injuries sustained may be life-altering and require long-term therapy. Your finances are compromised with a loss of wages at stake, and there may even be a life-threatening or fatal consequence. There is so much to endure at this time, and you and your loved ones are frightened and vulnerable.
Our drunk driving accident attorneys are experts at taking care of these situations and know how to navigate and advocate for you. Negotiating with insurance companies is not something that you should be left to manage on your own, especially when early offers and the desire to get some sort of aid may deprive you of what is due to you.
What if I cannot afford a Stroudsburg drunk driving accident attorney right now?
When you work with the Stroudsburg drunk driving accident attorneys at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, we arrange and disperse a team of experienced legal professionals, medical experts, and investigators dedicated to your case. Our attorneys will fight on your behalf to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you need. There is no fee unless we win, and you do not have to pay anything upfront or out of pocket. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a drunk driving accident in Pennsylvania, call us today or use our online contact form. We will review your case at no charge, and help you determine what to do next.
At our free consultation, we will answer your questions and help you make informed decisions about your legal options. To contact a drunk driving accident lawyer, fill out our online form or call us toll-free for a free case consultation.
Stroudsburg Practice Areas
Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys
27 N 6th St,
Stroudsburg, PA 18360