No matter where you are, the scene of a car accident can be a very stressful place. From damage to your vehicle, or worse, injury to you or a passenger, there is a lot to evaluate. So knowing how to handle a car accident scene before you’re actually involved in a car crash can be crucial in assuring the safety of you and anyone else involved.
Like anywhere else in the country, Wilkes-Barre has its share of car accidents, hit and runs, and pedestrian accidents. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Luzerne County was in the top 10 counties in the state for traffic crash fatalities in 2020.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you should not suffer alone. Car accidents can cause serious damage and an experienced car accident attorney can help in your recovery. Contact a Wilkes-Barre car accident lawyer at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys today for a free consultation.
What Are Five Things You Must Do at an Accident Scene?
Right after you’ve been in a car wreck, your adrenaline is flowing, which may cause you to react in ways you would not normally. It’s important to try and stay calm. Car accidents in Wilkes-Barre can bring injuries you may not even be aware of right away. Here are the top five things you should do after a Wilkes-Barre car accident.
- Seek Medical Attention: You may feel totally fine. But that could also be the adrenaline and not your reality. It’s imperative you get checked out by a doctor to be confident about whether you sustained accident injuries or not. Keep detailed documentation of all your doctor visits and medical treatment you receive. These documents can be crucial when it comes to receiving compensation in car accident cases.
- File a Police Report: Even if it doesn’t seem like you were in a serious car accident at first, you will want to file a formal police report. In the case of serious car crashes, police immediately should arrive at the scene and question you, other drivers, and any witnesses. The Wilkes-Barre Township Police Department offers emergency and non-emergency line. You can also get your police report online, or request a physical copy. The police report will be a key component to establishing negligence should your case go to court.
- Get Contact Information. After evaluating yourself and the passengers in your car, you will need to swap info with the other driver in your Wilkes-Barre car accident. Keep this interaction short and sweet. Do not admit fault, or agree to any offers to make the car crash go away.
- Gather Evidence: Document everything about your accident. Take photos of your vehicle and any damage you see. Look for things like skid marks, fluids, or anything that’s safe to see around the accident scene.
- Speak to Witnesses: Make sure you talk to anyone who witnessed the auto accident, including pedestrians, other drivers, store owners, etc. Car accidents that take place outside or very close to storefronts may have been caught on security cameras.
After a car accident, you’ll have doctors and your insurance company to deal with. Make sure you get the compensation you need to recover by calling an experienced Wilkes-Barre car accident lawyer to help you through the process.
What Can A Lawyer Do About A Car Accident?
After any auto accident, your first step should be contacting an accident lawyer who can help you build your case. The best lawyers know how to help you deal with your insurance company and insurance policy. An experienced car accident attorney can also guide you through your legal options based on the specifics of your car accident case. Here is how a car accident lawyer can help:
If you can’t prove the other driver was at fault or negligent for the accident, then you have no case. Car accident lawyers gather the evidence you need to prove you were not at fault. This means you will likely receive more in any settlement, and it limits any fault the other party could try and place on you.
Negotiate Maximum Compensation
A Wilkes-Barre car accident lawyer can help you understand how much you may be owed in your specific auto accident case. At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our clients have received millions of dollars to recoup for their losses. We will gather the evidence needed in your motor vehicle accident case to earn you compensation for things like:
- Medical treatments & any medical bills relating to injuries from the accident
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Long-term care, if applicable
- Lost wages, if applicable
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death for a loved one
Accepting a settlement too soon or without the help of a car accident lawyer can leave you unable to recover future losses or pay for the damage that has already been done. Car accident lawyers also have experience working with your insurance company after serious car accidents to negotiate settlements.
Call a Lawyer After Leaving Wilkes-Barre Car Accident Scene
Auto accidents unfortunately are not a rare occurrence on our roads. Whether the incident resulted in severe to minor injuries, or worse, car accident fatalities, it’s important to know what to do at a car accident scene. It’s overwhelming dealing with police, your insurance company, witnesses, passengers, the other driver, and more. After taking a thorough account of the accident scene, your first call should be to an experienced car accident lawyer in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our car accident lawyers have been helping victims in Northeastern Pennsylvania for more than 60 years. We are passionate about ensuring you receive maximum compensation to recover from your injuries. And we don’t make any money unless we win your case. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.