Wilkes-Barre Rideshare Accident Lawyer
Car accidents happen everyday, but they can be more complicated if you are a passenger or other driver that has been in an accident with a Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare driver. Due to state laws, determining who is at-fault with so many parties involved can make the process incredibly complicated. To ensure you’re compensated for your injuries, it’s important you have an expert Wilkes-Barre rideshare accident lawyer on your side.
In the past few years, services like Uber and Lyft have increasingly made it easier for us to get from point A to point B. However, these rideshare mobile apps are also contributing to more accidents on the roads. A recent study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) determined that “Uber and Lyft are behind a sharp rise in US traffic deaths.” These accidents have involved thousands of passengers and other drivers on the road, resulting in injuries, pain, and expenses.
If you have been in a rideshare accident in Wilkes-Barre, immediately report the incident to Lyft or Uber through their app. After the vehicle accident has been reported, you should hire a Wilkes-Barre Uber or Lyft accident lawyer. Regardless of the app, these rideshare companies will have large legal teams, and the driver may be covered by these companies as well. An experienced Wilkes-Barre Lyft or Uber rideshare lawyer will assist you in building your case to guarantee you get the compensation you deserve.
Determining Fault in Wilkes-Barre Uber Rideshare Car Accident Cases
Rideshare accidents in Wilkes-Barre (and most places in the United States) can have added complications. These car accidents are treated differently than an accident with a normal vehicle or traditional commercial vehicle.
Any rideshare mobile app companies that pick up passengers in Wilkes-Barre, including Uber and Lyft, have $1 million in liability insurance. However, this coverage doesn’t always apply; it depends on circumstance and who is involved.
Any injuries you sustain in a rideshare accident will likely be covered by the company’s insurance policy. But often, the ridesharing company still chooses to fight the claim and denies liability. This can happen even if your driver is determined to be at fault and on duty when the accident occurs. This is why you need an accident attorney on your side.
Dealing with these complicated issues is why it’s important to have an experienced Wilkes-Barre Uber or Lyft accident lawyer. Munley Law has been fighting for Wilkes-Barre car accident victims for more than 60 years. Our team of experienced accident attorneys have obtained the maximum compensation for injured victims.
Why Do Wilkes-Barre Rideshare Accidents Happen
While the popular rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft vet their drivers by driving history background checks, these checks aren’t everything. Just because someone has a clean driving history, doesn’t mean they aren’t susceptible to the same accident risks on the road.
The top reasons Wilkes-Barre rideshare accidents happen include:
- Drowsy driving. Rideshare drivers in Wilkes-Barre are very prone to driver fatigue. Whether they are working multiple jobs, or like working nights, many get behind the wheel tired. This impacts alertness and reaction time as much as driving while under the influence of alcohol.
- Distracted driving. Many rideshare drivers rely on smartphones for directions, tracking their time, and arranging pick-ups. Drivers being this attached to their phone can cause distractions.
- Speeding. Whether late to pick up a passenger, or trying to hustle to meet a passenger’s schedule, drivers can feel pressured to speed.
- Inclement weather. Driving in poor conditions like snow or rain is already hard enough. Couple that with a driver who has to constantly look at their phone for directions, or navigate unknown roads, and it could lead to disaster.
- Newer Uber driver. As the rideshare economy grows, newer drivers are turning to the apps for extra income. Or some for full-time employment. However, if they haven’t been driving for as long, the distractions can be even more dangerous. Be wary of a new Uber driver.
Rideshare Standards & Requirements in Wilkes-Barre Uber Accidents
In Wilkes-Barre, Uber and Lyft rideshare drivers have to meet certain standards to drive. Both rideshare services require their drivers:
- Are a minimum age. For Lyft, drivers must be at least 21 years old; for Uber, drivers must meet or exceed the minimum age for the city in which they work/are driving.
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Are licensed drivers for at least one year (or three years for Uber if younger than 23)
- Give proof of insurance, vehicle registration, and valid inspection
- Pass a driving background check and safety screening
In addition, vehicles must also meet certain standards. In general, they must be four-door vehicles in good condition, less than 10-15 years old. While these are good standards, they cannot alone prevent Wilkes-Barre rideshare accidents.
Get a Wilkes-Barre Rideshare accident lawyer at Munley Law on your side
Getting the justice you deserve after a Wilkes-Barre Uber or Lyft accident can be complicated. To ensure you or a loved one is compensated for pain, suffering, and other injuries, you will need an expert car accident lawyer on your side. One who knows the intricacies of fighting big rideshare companies who use contract drivers. A Wilkes-Barre rideshare lawyer will ensure you get the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. An experienced Munley Law car accident lawyer will provide a free consultation, including reviewing the details of your accident and answering any questions you may have. Call Munley Law today.