If you were hit by a car, truck, or bus while riding your bicycle in Luzerne County, we are here to help.
During the warmer months in Wilkes-Barre, the streets can be filled with bicyclists traveling to and from work or just out enjoying some exercise. Unfortunately, many drivers either don’t see bicyclists or don’t share the road. When a bicycle is struck by a motor vehicle on a city street, the rider often sustains very serious injuries. After such a bike accident, they will need help getting compensation to pay for their injuries.
If this has happened to you, a bicycle accident lawyer in Wilkes-Barre can make the legal process go as smoothly and stress-free as possible for the injured party. By choosing to hire an experienced Wilkes-Barre bike crash attorneys are fully committed to holding negligent car and truck drivers accountable for the injuries they’ve caused.
The Wilkes-Barre personal injury lawyers at Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys have won millions in settlements and verdicts for injury victims. Rest assured that your bicycle accident case is in good hands.
$32 Million Wrongful Death
$26 Million Truck Accident
$17.5 Million Car Accident
$12 Million Product Liability
$9 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$8 Million Truck Accident
$7.5 Million Auto Accident
$6.9 Million Garbage Truck Accident
$6.5 Million Traumatic Brain Injury
$5 Million Medical Malpractice
$5 Million Bus Accidents
Reasons Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer for My Wilkes-Barre Bike Accident
As more people in Wilkes-Barre are opting to ride their bikes to work, school, or just for sport or recreation, bicycle-motor vehicle collisions are becoming more common. Bikes can be a great way to save on gas money and stay in shape, but it can sometimes be dangerous to share the road with other vehicles.
When a bike accident occurs anywhere in the Diamond City, injured riders are often confused what are the next steps they need to take. Who is responsible for your bike accident and how can you recover from the damages you sustain?
By hiring a Wilkes-Barre bike accident lawyer, you will have someone by your side who can explain what your legal options are and give you an estimation of how much your claim is worth. Our Wilkes-Barre bicycle accident attorneys will negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf so you receive the maximum amount your settlement is worth. All you will need to do is recover from your injuries.
At Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our car accident lawyers in Wilkes-Barre have been helping bicyclists with their bike accident claims for over 60 years. We understand the pain and confusion you must be feeling; we will do everything possible to get you back on your feet and obtain the compensation you deserve.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents to Occur?
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, bicycle accidents have been fluctuating since 2016. Although there was a decrease in accidents in 2020, the number of fatalities was at its highest since 2016. One of the top reasons bike accidents occur in Luzerne County is distracted driving. Bicyclists have little or no time to react when a car or truck veers into their path. This leads to many accidents in our area.
Other common causes of bicycle accidents in Wilkes-Barre include:
- Vehicles turning improperly or failing to use turn signals, in front of a bicycle
- Vehicles following a bike too closely on a Wilkes-Barre street
- Opening the door of a parked vehicle in front of an oncoming cyclist
- Failure to obey traffic signals
- Failure to yield to a bicycle
- Product defects
- Hazardous road conditions
- Roadway defects or unsafe road design
- Bicyclists injured as a result of a dog attack
- Drunk or impaired drivers
If you’ve been injured in a Wilkes-Barre bike accident, we urge you to seek medical treatment immediately. Although it may seem like you’ve only sustained some minor cuts, bumps and bruises, you could suffer from a concussion, a serious internal injury, or a head injury. It is best to be cleared by a medical professional.
Bicycle-motor vehicle collisions can be especially dangerous for a cyclist due to the lack of protection and the size of a motor vehicle. Contacting an accident attorney after is recommended. Common bike accident injuries in Wilkes-Barre include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Joint injuries
- Bicyclist fatalities
Establishing Negligence in a Wilkes-Barre Cycling Accident Case
To get full and just compensation for your injuries, an experienced Wilkes-Barre bicycle accident lawyer must first prove that a driver’s or another person’s negligence caused the accident that led to your injuries. Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys has the resources needed to launch a complete investigation of what led to your injuries and to build an effective case. Our Wilkes-Barre bicycle accident lawyers will make sure every angle is covered.
To prove negligence, the following will need to be shown:
- The driver had a duty of care to protect the cyclist. All drivers have a legal responsibility to drive safely and not to bring harm to anyone else on the roads.
- The driver breached their duty of care. For example, if a driver was texting behind the wheel and failed to see the cyclist crossing the road in front of them, that driver is neglecting their responsibility of driving safely.
- The breach had caused an injury. Using the example above, the driver hit the cyclist because they were not paying attention. The accident caused a serious injury to the cyclist.
- The accident resulted in damages. Damages include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
How Bicyclists and Drivers Can Stay Safe On Wilkes-Barre Roads
We urge bicyclists and drivers on Wilkes-Barre roads including PA Route 315, Route 115, PA 309, over the Market St. or Pierce St. bridges, on Kidder Street or the Cross Valley Expressway, and throughout the city. These areas are usually high traffic and may be filled with distracted drivers who are not paying attention to the road. Do your part, and drive with care.
Follow these 10 simple bicycling safety rules:
- Wear a helmet to reduce your risk of injury
- Follow all rules of the road
- Stay alert and pay close attention to everything going on around you
- Be sure to use hand signals
- Be extremely careful and look around completely before merging into traffic
- Ride with the traffic flow, in the same direction as the other vehicles
- Be predictable. Ride in a straight line, and don’t weave in and out of traffic
- Keep on the lookout for opening car doors and other road hazards
- Wear bright or reflective clothing
- Make sure your bike is equipped with reflectors, a headlight, and a bell
As a bicyclist, you have a right to be safe on Wilkes-Barre city roads and throughout the area. The Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys Wilkes-Barre bicycle accident lawyers will help you recover the compensation you deserve for your Wilkes-Barre bike collision. This can include compensation for medical expenses, rehab and long-term care, lost wages, pain and suffering.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Accidents in Wilkes-Barre
Getting into a bicycle accident in Pennsylvania can be complex as much of the state is rural but in cities like Wilkes-Barre, these urban areas are dense with motor vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists alike.
Finding Pennsylvania bicycle accident attorneys can be difficult, especially with so many questions running through your mind. Learn the answers to some of our most frequently asked bicycle accident questions.
Does Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys Have Experience Handling Bicycle Accident Cases?
With offices throughout Pennsylvania, including Scranton, Philadelphia, Allentown, and Wilkes-Barre, Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys has experience handling bike accidents in Northeast Pennsylvania and can do the same for you.
We work with clients who have been injured to secure the compensation they need to move forward from the accident. But be mindful that not all personal injury lawyers handle bike accidents with the same level of detail as Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys, so call us today to secure your fair settlement.
What Are the Most Common Types of Bike Accidents in Wilkes-Barre?
Most bike accidents are a result of another driver’s negligence. Some of the most common causes of injured cyclists we see include those hurt in:
- Left-Cross Accidents: Occur at intersections where the bike rider will approach the intersection at the same time as the car on the other side and the driver attempts to make a left-hand turn, crossing in front of the cyclists, hitting them head-on.
- Right-Hook Accidents: Similar to a left-cross accident, it occurs when the car is turning right.
- Car Door Suddenly Opening: The bike is on the side of the road, parallel to parked cars when the car door opens suddenly. If the bicyclists cannot stop in time, they run the risk of being thrown over the open door.
- Sideswipe Accidents: A driver misjudges the amount of space between their vehicle and the cyclist who is riding to their right, resulting in sideswiping the bicyclist.
Other causes of bike accidents include:
- Poorly-maintained roadways
- Defective or damaged bike
- Animal attacks
- Cyclists collide with a pedestrian.
- The bike rider is intoxicated.
- The cyclist collides with an object or debris in the roadway.
What Protection Is There for Bicyclists Who Are Victims of Road Rage and Aggressive Drivers?
Under Pennsylvania’s vehicle code, bicycles and vehicles must share the road. However, many drivers do not want bikes on the roadways, which may lead to cyclists encountering aggressive drivers. Common road rage and aggressive driving behaviors include:
- Pushing cyclists off the road
We recommend that cyclists do not engage with the aggressive driver and instead call the police. If you are hurt by a driver exhibiting road rage, you may have a personal injury claim.
What Compensation is Available in a Wilkes-Barre Bike Accident Case?
If you have been hurt in a bike accident in Wilkes Barre, PA, you may be able to collect compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical care or treatment
- Lost wages
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and anguish
I Wasn’t Wearing a Helmet When I Got in a Bicycle Accident. Do I Still Have a Claim?
In Pennsylvania, anyone under the age of 12 must wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. However, the state does recommend everyone wear a helmet while on a bike. Whether or not you were wearing a helmet will not impact your case, unless you were negligent or your injuries were self-inflicted.
I Suffered a Serious Injury From a Road Defect While Riding My Bike. Can I Sue My Government?
As an injured person in a bike accident, you have a right to take action against the negligent parties who caused your injuries. In the event of a cyclist riding on a state or federal roadway, you may be able to sue that government entity for your medical bills.
Be sure to schedule a free consultation with a Wilkes-Barre or Scranton bicycle accident attorney before filing an insurance claim.
Munley Law Personal Injury Attorneys is Ready for Your Call
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash, you owe it to yourself to get the best legal representation. We will thoroughly investigate your Wilkes-Barre bike accident case and work to get you the results you deserve. We believe in maximum compensation for the victims and families of Wilkes-Barre area bike accidents. And, we do not charge a fee for our services unless we win your case. Contact our experienced Wilkes-Barre bicycle accident lawyers today for a free case evaluation.
accident attorneys accident attorneys wilkes-barre township wilkes-barre township serving wilkes-barre wilkes barre-scranton accident date pennsylvania accident firm overview bicycle crashes bicycle collision experienced bicycle sexual abuse barre township lawyers serving lawyers serving price price township township pennsylvania esq esq law firm law firm law firm serving serving firm firm firm firm firm firm scranton abuse abuse law offices law offices
Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer Wilkes-Barre Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Wilkes-Barre Practice Areas
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702